Eastern bluebirds nesting

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Can I use that for POW? I know you just had the last round of POW, but you take such unique and gorgeous shots. :D
Sure. (The license terms are on the Flickr page -- Creative Commons, Attribution, Non-Commercial, No Derivative Works.)

-Wendy

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm lovin' that little bluebird on the POW. She's so cute nesting up there. :happy_flower

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Loved the pics of the eggs- but the bird is amazing! Nice shot! I always feel so flattered when our feathered friends pick my yard, for their home! Keep us posted on their progress.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I peeked in the nest yesterday and we have baby birds!

The other nest box still had eggs, but she started later. (I wouldn't be surprised if she abandons it, we've been working on the garden fence, running the tiller, etc.)

-Wendy

confuzzled

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We have bluebirds nesting in a nestbox that's on a fencepost litteraly right next to the garden. They raised babies there last year too, and that's with 7 people tilling, weeding, hoeing, and harvesting plants. I wouldn't worry too much about her abandoning :).

Beautiful pictures!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This morning several of the cats were *very* interested in something in the leaves. When I saw one swat and jump back, I was pretty sure I knew what it was!

The dog took off and ran right through the herd of cats and over it... glad it was only

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10803470@N00/5651684174/

a rat snake, and not something worse!

It's that time of year -- and it was headed for the bluebird box, I'd almost bet. How do they know??

The nest box is on a T-post which I'm *sure* it could climb. Apparently I'm supposed to put them on smooth metal posts, but $$ ouch $$.

DH tried picking it up with the leaf rake that was nearby but that didn't work, it was too heavy. (A good 4' long, this one.) I went and got the hoe and he transferred it to a trash can *with* the lid, else it would have come right out, and relocated it to the front edge of the property.

Too funny -- when I went for the trash can he said to bring a feed bag. Riiiiighhht, and I suppose you think I'm going to hold the bag open while you try to insert an uncooperative snake in it?!

-Wendy

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That guy sure was hidden in the grass wasnt he..euwwww...I do not like snakes and I definately would not hold a bag to catch one.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Poor thing was *trying* to hide! When it slipped off the rake DH first used to pick it up, it tied itself in knots and hid its head underneath. It was probably very relieved to be dumped out up front where there were no teeth and claws and eyes staring at it.

The kitties were very jumpy the rest of the day, and kept going back to the place where it was, trying to find it again.

-Wendy

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One of the parents left an offering at the nest box today. This box should fledge this weekend.

medium.jpg

-Wendy

Latest posts