EAT YOUR WEEDS

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year, I have Shiso growing EVERYWHERE! By the wellhouse, by thebshed, down in the sheep pasture under the 2 big trees, over in horse pasture but I mow that section.
I've never planted it and never seen it before this year. It totally blocks out everything, no grass or other weeds grow in the stands of Shiso.
Just shy of 4.5 feet. 2ft in full sun, huge in shade.
2015-08-08 20.57.23.jpg
2015-08-08 20.57.06.jpg
2015-08-08 20.56.31.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Green briar shoots are crunchy and taste close to asparagus. I snap them off and snack on them when I am outside working. The edible briars have tendrils on them, like grapes do. On the tender shoots, the thorns are soft.

You can also use the briar root bulbs as a source of starch, but I haven't tried it.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been using sweet potato leaves in our smoothies. Not exactly a weed, but very plentiful in the garden right now.

I had just learned that those were edible recently. I was very disappointed not to have any to try this year.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember what my mom used to harvest from the roadsides. Poke, dock and ??? Darned if I can remember. I do remember she would boil the stuff, and drain off the first water, then boil again.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have included one grape leaf in each jar of pickles. Keeps them crisp. Seemed to work. I have a friend who takes mine, to make Greek grape leaves. Someone just stopped by and asked if he could harvest the wild grapes on my fence. He claims a bowl fill made him a delicious batch of grape jelly...

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like purslane and sneak it with the other greens. Also lambsquarter. I've tried chickweed but I don't have a lot growing. I should try red rooted pigweed, I have it all over. Sweet potato leaves are good and plentiful. When I take the dogs for a walk in the woods I snack on wild black raspberries and blackberries. Those black raspberries are so sweet, so much better than store bought. My BF's father freaks out when I try weeds. He's afraid they are toxic and I'm going to die. Little does he know he eats them at dinner. I should try young dandelion leaves, I've only had older, bitter leaves.

Latest posts