Eating the rainbow

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are finally starting to harvest a few things, and I am so pleased with some of the new (to us) colorful varieties we tried.
Purple haze, atomic red, and Nantes Fancy carrots. Magic Molly, Blue Gold, French fingerling and Augusta potato:
image.jpg

Graffiti cauliflower, speckled Romanian tomato, along with a few other odds and ends:
image.jpg

Almost like having a bouquet!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Supposed to have different nutrients associated with different colors :); something about plant pigments and antioxidants ...

Nantes Fancy carrots. Magic Molly, Blue Gold, French fingerling and Augusta potato:

Nantes carrots have always grown best for me. So now, there's a Fancy Nantes? Blue Gold potatoes are sure pretty in the catalog. French fingerlings are one of the few of that type that are early. Augusta? As in Maine?

;) Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are so pretty Bucka. I love Magic Molly's, they have a for sure spot in my garden every year. That is certainly a very singular color of cauliflower, it looks so appealing.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' -I usually grow Nantes fancy and scarlet Nantes, but I see that Fedco had none of the "fancy" available this year, so that must be older seed. I don't really know what the difference is.

This year Fedco offered a surprise assortment of seed potatoes. Since we were having trouble deciding this year, we thought, why not? Augusta is an early variety (not sure what it was named for) and we likely would have never tried magic Molly or Blue Gold without the assortment. What a fun surprise! We really like the Carola variety, but weren't getting the yields we wanted, which is why we were searching for something new.

The potatoes are doing well this year. This is the only year I remember that we had no potato beetles, and I can't say I really miss them!

Latest posts