Eating Well on a Budget

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
When we were CW Reenactors we attended a week long march event, just for reenactors, where we were slated to march 12 miles/day from Nagatoches, LA to Pleasant Hill, LA, starting on a Sunday in April Record cold and rain ended it Wednesday morning. The organizers went to the trouble of supplying everyone with rations of sausages, cabbages, rice, chocolate, raisins and some other stuff that has gone out of mind.
DH and I had brought a sealed container of powdered milk for (his) coffee. At our last camp spot I made myself rice pudding from the rations.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We still go to discounters before they close (about 8pm) for good deals like this. Scallion is always cheap in autumn and winter here.
10932.jpg

Cucumbers and cauliflowers are also 50% off. As usual, the quality is totally fine. We also picked some sausages and shrimp salad (30% off).
10961.jpg

I love scallions!
10960.jpg

A very lovely brunch with special egg noodles (fried). One friend of mine came to Germany to visit an exhibition and brought me the noodles from my hometown; so happy.
10958.jpg

We also used discounted ingredients to make our dinner. Steamed sausage and cauliflower, served with mapo tofu (tofu, minced meat, chili).
10906.jpg

The shrimp salad and cucumber will be used tomorrow.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We still go to discounters before they close (about 8pm) for good deals like this. Scallion is always cheap in autumn and winter here.
View attachment 52991
Cucumbers and cauliflowers are also 50% off. As usual, the quality is totally fine. We also picked some sausages and shrimp salad (30% off).
View attachment 52992
I love scallions!
View attachment 52993
A very lovely brunch with special egg noodles (fried). One friend of mine came to Germany to visit an exhibition and brought me the noodles from my hometown; so happy.
View attachment 52994

We also used discounted ingredients to make our dinner. Steamed sausage and cauliflower, served with mapo tofu (tofu, minced meat, chili).
View attachment 52995

The shrimp salad and cucumber will be used tomorrow.
I think I am going to die. I so love food and I have none of this near me. :hit

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In Germany, Mett (minced raw pork/beef seasoned with salt and pepper) is quite common, and people usually eat it raw on a bread roll.   DH didn't eat such food, but I made something totally different and delicious from it - Pearl Meatballs.

11221.jpg

I got 1Kg Mett from a supermarket, just 4.99Euro, such a lovely offer. As it is already seasoned, what I need to do is soak sticky rice overnight.

After forming Mett into meatballs, I gave them a quick egg yolk bath - so the soaked (and drained) rice could easily stick to the surface of the meat balls.

Then, let them have a Sauna for 20 minutes in the steamer. (It's suggested to use some leafy greens or oil on the bottom - or you would very likely get meatballs with naked butts 🤣 )
11224.jpg

11223.jpg

To make a quick and tasty dip: soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, a bit broth/boiling water, a bit honey, a bit oyster sauce (if you have it at hand), and chilis (if you prefer some spiciness).

My steamer is a two-layer one, so a quick soup can also be made as some broth drip into the lower pot. Just add some dried seaweed/chopped scallion or chives or green onion, some veggies, and leftover egg liquid.

Ordinary minced meat can deliver, and you can add whatever spice/herbs you like to season it.
11220.jpg

I made totally more than 30 pearl meatballs, about four portions. They are served with cucumber, tomato salad, and a quick soup. It's a nice meal, with characters, on a budget.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just bought myself two, yes two!! bags of glutenous (sweet) rice. This would be a good idea for something different. I just soaked two cups of it overnight, washed and rinsed and then steamed in my electric steamer that I've had for 30 years. It was sooooo yummy with its' texture!!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A new trick from Lidl here - kind of TGTG veggie bag. But, it's better because you can take a look what's inside and then decide.
P_20221104_185304.jpg

Three Euro pro bag
P_20221104_191147.jpg
Whatever we are not interested will become weekend bonus treats for the hens (those in the box are for hens).

I will use these ingredients in our next few meals.