Edible cherries?!

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I believe @Pulsegleaner is right about them being plums. I have two of these trees. They produce a small, flavorful fruit but mine are really tart. They make great jellies though. I may try to can some for cobblers if it's not too much trouble pitting. We love plum cobblers. I just can them in a simple syrup. The juice is good if you want to drink it. Too sweet for me but the Wildbunch and grands like it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I believe @Pulsegleaner is right about them being plums. I have two of these trees. They produce a small, flavorful fruit but mine are really tart. They make great jellies though. I may try to can some for cobblers if it's not too much trouble pitting. We love plum cobblers. I just can them in a simple syrup. The juice is good if you want to drink it. Too sweet for me but the Wildbunch and grands like it.
:gigI ran into this guy at Rural King who was buying a plant and we got to talking about making wine. He told me that he followed the directions, added grapes, etc., but his first batch tasted like alcoholic Kool Aid. 2nd batch he doubled the recommended yeast and it was terrific.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds like me and one of my most recent meads. I literally couldn't get the stuff to take off after a while I realized it needed to be diluted; there was so much honey it was killing the yeast (in an effort to make a stronger mead, I had added TRIPLE the recommended amount of honey). So I moved from the jug to my "home brew" method (brewing in old water bottles) diluted it by half, added more yeast, and waited. We bottled this previous Saturday, and Dad says it's the best mead I have done yet (Pity I can't do any more, it was a rare honey I can't get again)

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well grandson and I picked a bowlful of those little plums. I was hopeful they could be pitted like a cherry but the skin is too tough and it definitely wouldn't make good cobblers like the tame ones. I froze them on a cookie sheet but will put in plastic bags. I'm going to juice them all and make jelly. If there is any left it will be used as juice.

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can there be red&yellow plums?! The leaves are skinny oval shaped and very glossy. I guess I'll have to eat one to find out :plbb If they're the tart ones I'll be making pie and getting more jars to can some filling and some jellies I've had recipes for for awhile.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you mean yellow plums with a red blush or skin, of course there can! pretty much any color a cherry can be a plum can be, and then some (I say the latter because as of now I have yet to see a green when ripe cherry). There used to be a mirabelle tree near me in college whose fruit would best be described as ORANGE.

Latest posts