EEK! a Mouse!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
6,798
Points
377
Location
Eastern Panhandle, WV
JustOneBite. Works like a charm and very quickly. That's one thing I don't mind using poison for as I've seen what can happen when a colony of rats or mice get started. Traps just can't keep up with all that. The occasional little field mouse isn't so bad and we'll set a trap for that, but more than one? That's a bigger, more extensive problem.
 

canesisters

Garden Master
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
5,684
Reaction score
7,461
Points
377
Location
Southeast VA
I am currently at war with a rat in the coop. It's moved in under the coop building and makes trips whenever a hen is at the feeder. I use a trigger feeder - the hen pecks a little paddle on the bottom of a trash can and a little bit of pellets falls out. The rat waits and gathers up the pellets before the hen gets any! I've had a live trap set out there for a week now. Tonight, poison goes down the hole and I block it back up.
I spend a whole winter fighting rats in the barn - trying every non-poison trick/trap I could find. Once I put out the poison, the rats vanashed. I was worried about using the poison, with a barn cat and sometimes a dog out there. Someone reminded me - the rat will only eat enough to kill a rat.
 

Beekissed

Garden Master
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
6,798
Points
377
Location
Eastern Panhandle, WV
My dogs won't touch them either. They are pretty much falling apart inside by the time they crawl out to the outside world. It's that fast.
 

catjac1975

Garden Master
Joined
Jul 22, 2010
Messages
8,969
Reaction score
8,961
Points
397
Location
Mattapoisett, Massachusetts
Tough not good for then certainly, a dog or cat will not doe from rat poison. (At least that's what my husband has been telling me all these years.) Something about their digestion. I put it where cats and dogs can't get to it anyway.
 

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
13,023
Reaction score
20,644
Points
437
Location
Long Grove, IA
@catjac1975 I would still be VERY careful that the cats and dogs can not get into it. A co-worker came home from work once to find the family dog had gotten into the poison and was bleeding out of every possible place. :sick He was rushed to the vet and given a shot of vitamin K maybe? Helped stop the bleeding. I understand there is something in it that is supposed to cause vomiting in cats and dogs and that rats and mice do not vomit.
 

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Joined
Jun 20, 2011
Messages
199
Reaction score
272
Points
153
Location
East coast of Iowa
We have a mouse (or something) stealing traps in DH's shop. Numerous mice & voles have been caught, but occasionally a trap goes missing. War has been declared.
We have developed lightening reflexes around here. If even a slight movement is caught in the corner of the eye ... Stomp!
I almost got a sparrow once.
 

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
16,473
Reaction score
17,405
Points
457
Location
North Idaho 48th parallel
I think what Cat meant was that if a dog or cat ate a mouse that had died from poisoning it wouldn't die. A dog that eats rat poison will surely at least get very sick if not die.
 

Smart Red

Garden Master
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
11,303
Reaction score
7,395
Points
417
Location
South-est, central-est Wisconsin
A dog that eats rat poison will surely at least get very sick if not die.
$1500 worth of sick from 8:00 pm through 3:00 am -- forced to throw up, given charcoal to neutralize the poison, and a shot of vitamin K x's 2 weeks -- after my dog got into rat poison at my bff's up the road.

Then there is the smell of dead vermin who ate and went to a dark, unreachable place to die.

For me and mine, I prefer the snap-traps, although the bucket might be a good choice in the chicken coop.
 

so lucky

Garden Master
Joined
Mar 5, 2011
Messages
8,342
Reaction score
4,958
Points
397
Location
SE Missouri, Zone 6
If I remember correctly, the rat/mouse poison is chiefly warfarin, which is the blood thinner people take to prevent clotting, etc.
Mice and rats don't throw up, so once the poison gets in their stomach, it starts creating ulcers and the mouse bleeds to death internally. Vitamin K is the antidote for the warfarin.
As far as whether a dog would get sick from eating a mouse that was poisoned, it would make sense that it would, but maybe the warfarin is short-lived, and ineffective by the time a dog would find the mouse and eat it? (speculation on my part)
Anyway, we got a mouse in the trap with the expensive cheese. 3 traps set now. It's on!
 

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
8,227
Reaction score
10,050
Points
397
Location
Southeast Louisiana Zone 9A
How much does a mouse weigh? From what I just read online, less than 1 ounce. Less than 1/16th of a pound. How much does your dog weigh? A lot more. What dosage will kill a mouse? What dosage will kill your dog. Think about dosage a bit.

I don't use mouse/rat poison much but I do occasionally. I made a hollow section by screwing some 2x6's together so mouse can get in but a dog or cat cannot. I take great pains to keep a dog, mine or a stray, from getting to the rat poison. It could eat enough to harm itself or even die, especially a small dog. I don't like poison. I don't take it lightly. But I'm willing to poison a mouse.
 
Top