Egg Eating

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh oh! But, now Mary hates me, @canesisters !

Wrecked computer, speckled Sussex charged with egg eating!

I don't know. They don't have good vision even in low light. It's worked for me more than once and I got so I'd just leave curtains up. If egg eating started again, the tattered things were replaced.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, the only reason I'm showing mercy if because she's my favorite! Who said looks don't get you anything?

Steve, right now you are in the same boat as that sussex! Both forgiven but mad at you! :D I thought you knew everything! Ha, I am so upset and I don't want to hear from anyone that the egg shells are thin, they need more oyster shell, protein, etc! Because that is NOT the case! Thistle, you know who I'm talking about. ;)

Looking ahead, what can I put in the nest box so that the darn egg will roll? I've heard of artificial grass but don't know where I can buy a small piece.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The cheap door mats that have the curly plastic 'grass' should work.
(put something at the other end for the egg to hit or you'll STILL be finding broken shells.....
hanghead[1].gif
)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha Thistle, you better be right about those fake eggs! lol

No, I don't see you cutting and pasting and taking credit for it.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, I was assuming we were talking about egg-eating chickens not people. My chickens get old eggs scrambled with lots of oatmeal, grains, and veggie bites. So far no one seems to have figured that they were the source of the rare, but delicious snacks.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunday, I finally placed 3 golf balls in the nest. I sure hope it works. Now, I'm afraid that the real egg will fall and hit those balls and break!

How high is the hen standing when she lays an egg? Wondering how many inches that egg gets dropped. I think they squat?

Been talking to my husband about the rolling nest box and he's open to it! No grumbling or complaining so far! He did ask how I was going to keep the poop off the fake grass. Hmmm...thought I would put in a piece of carpet and periodically take it out and hose it? Would this work?

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
They're little bums are fimrly planted in the nest when they lay an egg. So not worries about the eggs dropping.
If you fit the fake grass in snuggly, you should be able to just take it out and shake off any poo, dirt, etc.
A towel rolled up and placed at the low end of the roll works to stop them gently.

Latest posts