Egg Eating

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Cane, I'm thinking of using a piece of carpet. Would that work? Also, how high/inches is that wall up so that the egg fits through?

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carpet should work fine, as long as the hens like it. Remember, they're going to scratch around a little first so try to make sure that it can't be easily pulled up.
The gap depends on your eggs. 2 - 2.5 inches(from the surface of your carpet) is more than big enough for my girls eggs to roll under.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
thumbsup.gif
THAT is a GOOD idea

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uhhhh...found 3 golf balls and one broken egg in the box today. :barnie

Looks like I'll have to get my husband to build that new roll out nest box. :he He's working Saturday and long hours so it's going to be a while.

Mary

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uhhhh...found 3 golf balls and one broken egg in the box today. :barnie

Looks like I'll have to get my husband to build that new roll out next box. :he He's working Saturday and long hours so it's going to be a while.

Mary

Mmhmm, mmhmm... yep, yep....sounds like they just mistook that egg for a golf ball when they were practicing their swing.

You gotta remember to take the golf clubs away from them too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you separate the suspected egg eater?

I have had pullets figure out that eggs are good and get in the nest box with the laying hens so they can eat the eggs. BAD PULLETS!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
bay, I once saw my speckle sussex in the box with the broken egg so I'm pretty sure it was her, unless someone else did it and she wandered in afaterwards. I have no space to separate her. I'm concerned that it will be really tight in back of the coop to collect eggs when the roll out nest box is built. You need to add a 6 inch space between the 2 back walls in order to reach in and retrieve the eggs. I have just enough room as it is. Looks like I will have to lose those 7 lbs I wished for! Ha

thistle, you didn't tell me I had to take away their golf clubs! :tongue

Mary

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine have been doing the thin shell routine (even with oyster shell supplements)...and every so often I find a egg remnant. I do try to collect them several times a day.....but if one gets broke..they think it's "Party Time!" :celebrate

I did find one on Saturday.....it was a floor egg. When I picked it up, the bottom had a hole in it...leaking egg goey. So I think they stepped on it in their rush to get out the door that morning. If they had found it..it would have been history..or breakfast. So I think mine are just egg eater opportunists.:idunno

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, this Sussex is a new hen in the coop, right?

Has she been allowed space on the roost?

Is she sleeping in the nests?

Steve

Latest posts