Egg plant

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
not to hi jack @baymule thread, what varieties do you grow? Why? Pros/cons?

While too late to plant this year, it’s not too late to eat what I do have. Post any favorite recipes. Egg plant Parm & Moussaka for me.

I grow standard black beauty as I don’t like the form of the long Japanese to cook with.
What are the pros and cons...Well.... After you grow them you have to eat them.... YUCK

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't care much for the huge purple egg plant. But...the smaller white long ones, the Rosa Blanca, the other Asian varieties....YUM YUM YUM. Cut up, toss with olive oil and garlic and whatever herb you want. Put in a grill basket and grill along with onions, broc, and anything else you've got. YUM!!!!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds good Rhodie. When I do something like that to grill I usually wrap it in aluminum foil. They don't fall apart, usually don't stick, and are just easier for me to handle.

I agree with Seed, Eggplant doesn't have a lot of flavor by itself but it does soak up sauce and flavors.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman I normally have to chastise the pea pickers to share. While Nawtherners are a careing, sharing group, don’t make me get ugly with you as we beg you to explain more about this soup you talk of..... :lol: :frow

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soup?

That sounds good to me and right up my alley. However, it can't be just an ordinary soup! I don't want to just substitute eggplant for potatoes ...

I find that the Asian varieties do better but I still prefer the shapes of the bells. Soup may be something non-breaded&fried, non-casserole that I could do just fine with the longer types. This year, I have a new, long green Japanese variety - Choryoku. Kurume grew well for me for several years but it seems a little coarse. (I like Shoya purple just fine.)

If you want to try different Asian varieties, Kitazawa Seed sure has a good selection (link)!

Steve
eggplant with tomatoes & jalapeño soup?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once grew Rosa Bianca cause my second daughter's name is Bianca! It's a pretty eggplant but I guess I don't know how to cook them. But I just LOVE them in asian dishes. Always order it when at a chinese restaurant.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last time I tried eggplant, it was Eggplant Parmesan at the Olive Garden, and I couldn't finish it. Blech!!!
Tempt me.

i'm not all that fond of their food in general so i'd certainly not order anything like that there! rather spoiled growing up with Italian American food being pretty much the standard and staple cooking we did. however, we never cooked eggplant or ate it nor were we much into frying cutlets of any kind for being used later in dishes. what we did fry were potatos for french fries and once in a while onion rings (made from scratch). we ate tons of pasta and various sauces, meatballs, sausage, etc. it wasn't until i was away at college that i had eggplant for the first time at a Lebanese lady's deli and everything she made was delicious so i learned how to cook that style of food myself as much as i could later on when i had more reason to cook for myself and also the time and places to shop which had the ingredients and spices.

from that i figured out that pretty much i'll eat eggplant in about any form and since i don't much mind bitter i didn't bother with a lot of the prep that some recipes called for to pre-treat eggplant or to fiddle around. i just went for it and ate the results and almost all the time i was happy with how it turned out. i think babaganoush is the most simple and favorite dish because i like roasted and slightly burned things. :) for tahini if i didn't have it on hand i'd use a bit of peanut butter or nothing at all beyond a few drops of toasted sesame oil or whatever else worked. i'm not too picky in some ways. :)

Latest posts