egg shells for fertilizer

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I didn't know if any of you knew that egg shells are wonderful fertilizer. I put some in the hole before I planted my tomatoes and they have grown and are so pretty. A 90 year old man told me about this and he use to grow 3 lb tomatoes. So far it's working great!

I just thought I would pass it along.

jackie

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I didn't know that! I wonder if it's the calcium?

The bad news is I just remembered a bag of frozen, half rotten shrimp in the freezer- they were supposed to go in the garden this year, and I forgot. :he

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ever since we got chickens we've just thrown our egg shells into the garden. In the spring and fall they are tilled in. From May through November they're just scattered around waiting for tilling season.

mediaOrganic

Sprout
Reaction score
we'll have to give this a try. we got our first three chicks last june and just added another seven chicks last week. we're going to have a heck of a lot of egg shells come next season :)

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:) Oh good idea about the planting with the tomato I will have to add some around mine :clap

I compost my egg shells along with my coffee grounds and used tea bags. :D

Thanks I always love find out new ideas, gardening is so rich with learning. :celebrate Where else can you learn and play in the dirt to produce beauity ?? :love :watering :throw

:happy_flower Karan :D

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love talking with elderly people who use to garden because they are full of so much wisdom. This couple that I visit with never bought commercial stuff for their garden.

jackie

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
so i was wondering, since my tomatoes are already in the ground (no fruit yet) .. would it be the same to sprinkle around the neck of the plant? and would it benefit all the goodies i put in the ground or just the tomatoes?? just wondering if anyone else knew ..
jackiedon thanks for the good info for next year, putting that one in my notes!! oh and yes i was talking with a man in his 70's and he said his parents didnt have roundup or miracle grow and they were still able to garden .. funny ..

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Dang! I KNEW I should have kept those funky eggs from the back of the fridge. Maybe, DH ignored my request to toss them. Does anyone know of anything the insides are used for. These are well past expiration.