egg shells for fertilizer

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
aidenbaby said:
Dang! I KNEW I should have kept those funky eggs from the back of the fridge. Maybe, DH ignored my request to toss them. Does anyone know of anything the insides are used for. These are well past expiration.
Dog or Cat food???? :D :gig Butthat's what I use my older eggs for But ya just have to keep an open window after our Dalamation Jake has had them :sick :th :lol: :gig

:happy_flower Karan :D

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina said:
Egg shells help protect your plants from slugs - according to this article-
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2007-08-01/Garden-Slug-Control.aspx

I want to try this experiment (in the link below) but I don't have enough coffee grounds!
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Grow...Prevent-Cabbage-Pests-Reader-Garden-Test.aspx
Wow, thanks Catalina , :clap that's good to know I have a bag I save my coffee grounds and used tea bags in along with the egg shells in the kitchen. So I will sprinkle some around my cabbage, broccoli, brussell sprouts, and kolirobi and see how it goes.
:caf You guys are such great info sources :ya :clap

:love I Love this Place :love

:happy_flower Karan :D

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
For as much coffee grounds as you want see your nearest Starbucks.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wonder where you could get free egg shells that people dispose of, maybe at a bakery?
I'm saving all my egg shells to put in the garden, i actually even save some for my birds, gives them that calcium for egg laying. I crush the shells until their very small, better than having to pay for oystershell.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
aidenbaby said:
For as much coffee grounds as you want see your nearest Starbucks.
Hmmm, yeah the nearest Starbucks is a 2 hour one-way drive. I've asked around town and it seems either the coffee grounds are already spoken for or the owners don't want to collect them and let me pick them up. :idunno

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Bummer about the coffee grounds.

Good idea about the eggshells from bakeries though.

Jewels19

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I take my egg shells and sprinkle them around the base of my veggies and fruit...the plants love it! banana's are good too! Just take the peel and toss around the plant...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jewels19 said:
I take my egg shells and sprinkle them around the base of my veggies and fruit...the plants love it! banana's are good too! Just take the peel and toss around the plant...
The banana peel has phosphorus and potassium, so its great for the plants.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanks Catalina i get so lost on the mother earth news web page .. just tooo much info .. always good info, i just get lost ..
being in the city i have starbucks' with in 1/2 mile of each other .. i always forget what a source they are for coffee grounds (i dislike their coffee) .. egg shells we just dont have a supply of ..
thanks for the info i was putting my grounds in the compost .. i think i'll share the wealth!