Eggplant

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay, I must confess, I do not like sauteed eggplant. I grew Ichabod eggplant this year. I think they are beautiful plants and the eggplant is my favorite color. I just don't like them anyway I fix them, which is sauteed.

My aunt would dredge them in flour and fry them. I thought they were exceptionally bland. I need a good recipe because mine are now producing.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to definitely lurk on this one. I can find plenty of fancy convoluted main dish casserole type things to do with eggplant, but I'd like to see something where it is more of a fairly simple to prepare side dish. Your post is timely. I'll probably get my first three Ichiban eggplants tomorrow.

I find that eggplant is not really a great lead veggie, but it is real good at absorbing and presenting the flavors of other things. That may be why it is so good in casseroles.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do I grill them slightly done or well done? I like my zucchini limp but not overly mushy.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to peel and cube mine, then saute in olive oil or butter and throw them in my spaghetti sauce in place of mushrooms. They have a similar texture and they'll pick up all the flavor from the sauce.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, yummo digitS', that looks mouth watering. You hit my weakness, Italian food. So can I prepare this "casserole" style and freeze it?

I need a good recipe for the extra's too or are eggplants eat as you get them? Will they store in the fridge for long?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do them on the grill too. In one of those pans with holes in it. I start the egg plant and onions first, and maybe some carrots. Then add zuc and mush later. I like it soft cooked, but not the zuc and mush. Toss with olive oil, some S&P or some Mrs Dash, and some garlic pwdr. YUMMY!

In one of those fancy produce bags, they will only last about a week, before they become too spotted. In regular plastic bag, about 4 - 5 days.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
Well, sure, pretty much anything is going to taste good if you *fry* it and then cover it with cheese!

-Wendy
Well now wait just a cotton-picking minute, Wendy!

That recipe calls for baking the eggplant, then covering it with cheese/sauce, then putting it all back in the oven.

Actually, frying it and then covering it with cheese is what I usually do :p.

Steve
edit to correct my spell chequer.

Latest posts