EGGS!!!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red do think your dog is why no predator loss ?
My wussy dog? I believe having her range and pee on the property probably keeps some of the preditors away. . . I know there's no more wood chucks because of her. . . but she is no danger to the wildlife out here.

I think the biggest reason for no loss is that there are no dogs running free in the neighborhood. I lock up the birds when most preditors are out hunting, but wild dogs would be a constant threat.

Is it possible that she has extremely strong hormones in her urine? Otherwise I have no reason for the lack of preditation.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee, even though your Iowa Blue chickens are a specific breed, I have found that each chicken produces a pretty reliably specific colored egg. The browns may fade a bit before molting. but you will probably be able to tell which egg comes from which chicken as you get used to when each one lays, and where. They may also consistently have a different specific shape, too. I think that's part of the charm of having a few home chickens.
(After writing this, I realize that store bought brown eggs seem to be pretty uniform, but that may be a sorting result, not particularly a laying result.)
I sure miss my chickens. I sure miss those eggs with the yolks so orange they almost glowed. Big yolks, even in the small eggs. And taste was out of this world. Store-bought eggs are almost cardboard-bland, and I no longer enjoy eating eggs.
And although we had said we were going to go on a few trips since we have no chickens to worry about, that has not happened. So I may as well get some more, right?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, we thought we would try taking Penny with us on some short trips. But it is kind of a hassle traveling with a nosy dog. Fortunately, we do have a great boarding facility that loves her, and they have a person there 24/7 with the dogs.
I can't imagine traveling with a chicken. I bet jojo54 got lots of attention with her chicken.