1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Canning Question - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

El nino, weird or what?

Discussion in 'Indoor & Greenhouse Gardening' started by jackb, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Dec 11, 2015
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

weather report 60s all week for Southern NY Loving it!!!

2. Dec 12, 2015
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Jack, it was 47°f this afternoon! A normal December 11 high would be 32°. With sunny skies (mostly), I opened a vent in the greenhouse for about one hour.

I believe that the sky will be clear enough to see some stars and, maybe, some shooting stars, the Geminids. There is no moon to be seen, tonight.

That clear evening sky will allow the warmth to escape and another storm is on its way! I'm expecting snow by morning.

Steve

3. Dec 12, 2015
    jackb

jackb Garden Master

Steve,
    Enjoy your snow. I'll just settle for 60s and one more day closer to spring. I am also on a gardening forum in the UK and a member from Surrey wrote: "Daffodils are out here this week, never seen them that early before." I guess it is not limited to the US.

4. Dec 12, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

Even here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin the spring flowers are starting to pop up. My niece's tulips -- just planted in September -- are growing. Sheesh!

On the plus side, I did finally get all my garlic planted Thursday. No time today to do anything. DH wanted to travel so we went to the garden center (ah-h-h!) and to get him a few more slacks in his new (larger) size.

No way anyone would call him fat, chubby, husky, etc, but all the weight he lost this summer during his bout with C-diff seemed to be muscle and all the weight his current "see-food" diet is putting on is settling around his waist. Sigh! He was back to wearing his old size 32's for a while. Then he passed back through the 33's within an eye-blink. The new clothes are 34's. I am hoping we can do something about that, but I'm unsure what at this time.

5. Dec 12, 2015
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

@Smart Red :hugs big hugs. You are a wonderful lady.

6. Dec 12, 2015
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Red I would give a kidney to be a 34 again

7. Dec 13, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

But, but, but. . . he's been the same weight since high school. After all these years, I never expected him to start expanding at this late date.

We've talked about his 'See Food' diet and he says he wants to cut down, but anything on the table is fair game until all plates are empty or carried away. It is actually a factor of both the Alzheimer's and the stroke. His appetite controls in the brain were damaged.

Of course, I plead bias, but he still is a fine figure of a man. From the backside he looks like a teenaged boy. No signs of sagging! Me? I have more folds than the flag.

8. Dec 13, 2015
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

It was 74 here today! We took the kids this evening to a Christmas thing at a huge recess cave in a state park in Ohio to see Santa. I wore flip-flops and no jacket. Didn't feel very Christmas-y! Tomorrow, more of the same.

Nyboy likes this.
  9. Dec 13, 2015
    catjac1975

catjac1975 Garden Master

We are very warm here in Massachusetts also. We have a terrible winter moth problem right now which will be extra bad next spring. They are just not dying and seem to love blueberry blossoms. The last time we had this warmth chick weed took over my flower beds and took 2 years to get into control. It grew all winter instead of dying back. Also, our blueberries bloomed early and then we had a late hard frost killing the blossoms. That aside I am enjoying the warm days we have hardly had a deep frost.I am able to weed flower beds still -a never ending chore. But I actually have been enjoying really getting a certain bed in perfect shape and applying a great leaf mulch.

10. Dec 13, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

Cat, you keep your moths right where they are. I don't need anything like that moving into south-est, central-est Wisconsin. Thank goodness for prevailing westerlies!

It's in the 60s today. Even the drizzle can't dampen Christmas shopping without a jacket. Of course, I lost DH in the department store. You would think he'd stick closer, I'm not a speed shopper. I suspect he'd intended to go back to the car and got lost in the store. Luckily I spotted his wizen ole head over the purse rack or I'd still be searching.

Asking him to "report to the checkout area" means nothing to someone who has no building or directional reference any more. That's why I prefer shopping over the internet. Haven't lost him once on Amazon.