El nino, weird or what?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, it was 47°f this afternoon! A normal December 11 high would be 32°. With sunny skies (mostly), I opened a vent in the greenhouse for about one hour.

I believe that the sky will be clear enough to see some stars and, maybe, some shooting stars, the Geminids. There is no moon to be seen, tonight.

That clear evening sky will allow the warmth to escape and another storm is on its way! I'm expecting snow by morning.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve,
Enjoy your snow. I'll just settle for 60s and one more day closer to spring. I am also on a gardening forum in the UK and a member from Surrey wrote: "Daffodils are out here this week, never seen them that early before." I guess it is not limited to the US.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin the spring flowers are starting to pop up. My niece's tulips -- just planted in September -- are growing. Sheesh!

On the plus side, I did finally get all my garlic planted Thursday. No time today to do anything. DH wanted to travel so we went to the garden center (ah-h-h!) and to get him a few more slacks in his new (larger) size.

No way anyone would call him fat, chubby, husky, etc, but all the weight he lost this summer during his bout with C-diff seemed to be muscle and all the weight his current "see-food" diet is putting on is settling around his waist. Sigh! He was back to wearing his old size 32's for a while. Then he passed back through the 33's within an eye-blink. The new clothes are 34's. I am hoping we can do something about that, but I'm unsure what at this time.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
But, but, but. . . he's been the same weight since high school. After all these years, I never expected him to start expanding at this late date.

We've talked about his 'See Food' diet and he says he wants to cut down, but anything on the table is fair game until all plates are empty or carried away. It is actually a factor of both the Alzheimer's and the stroke. His appetite controls in the brain were damaged.

Of course, I plead bias, but he still is a fine figure of a man. From the backside he looks like a teenaged boy. No signs of sagging! Me? I have more folds than the flag.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was 74 here today! We took the kids this evening to a Christmas thing at a huge recess cave in a state park in Ohio to see Santa. I wore flip-flops and no jacket. Didn't feel very Christmas-y! Tomorrow, more of the same.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the seven or so years that I have had the greenhouse, I have had to close it early in November and bring the plants indoors to avoid freezing. Not this year however, as the plants are still in the greenhouse, and, still actively growing. The olive trees should be dormant by now, but they are still putting out lush green growth. The forecast for this week is for above normal temperatures, and this morning I read on weather.com that the forecast for three weeks ahead calls for the temperatures to remain above normal. In previous years the olives have flowered in late January, but I have no clue as to what will happen this year. I open the doors and vents on sunny days to keep the temperature down, so that the plants can get their chill cycle. If it were not for the plants, I would close the vents, and sit in my lawn chair and enjoy the warmth and sunshine. Well, whatever the reason, I am not complaining, as each day passes it is one less day of winter.
jackb

We are very warm here in Massachusetts also. We have a terrible winter moth problem right now which will be extra bad next spring. They are just not dying and seem to love blueberry blossoms. The last time we had this warmth chick weed took over my flower beds and took 2 years to get into control. It grew all winter instead of dying back. Also, our blueberries bloomed early and then we had a late hard frost killing the blossoms. That aside I am enjoying the warm days we have hardly had a deep frost.I am able to weed flower beds still -a never ending chore. But I actually have been enjoying really getting a certain bed in perfect shape and applying a great leaf mulch.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, you keep your moths right where they are. I don't need anything like that moving into south-est, central-est Wisconsin. Thank goodness for prevailing westerlies!

It's in the 60s today. Even the drizzle can't dampen Christmas shopping without a jacket. Of course, I lost DH in the department store. You would think he'd stick closer, I'm not a speed shopper. I suspect he'd intended to go back to the car and got lost in the store. Luckily I spotted his wizen ole head over the purse rack or I'd still be searching.

Asking him to "report to the checkout area" means nothing to someone who has no building or directional reference any more. That's why I prefer shopping over the internet. Haven't lost him once on Amazon.

Latest posts