1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Canning Question - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

El nino, weird or what?

Discussion in 'Indoor & Greenhouse Gardening' started by jackb, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Dec 21, 2015
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

So....did you get those bulbs in the ground yet?
    I think I remember that you did, with the help of an auger, but I just wanted to nag you.

2. Dec 21, 2015
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

most of them planted still have 1 bag to go

thistlebloom likes this.
  3. Dec 21, 2015
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

Not normal at all @Nyboy there or here! It was only 46 overnight and raining. The snow we got in Nov melted fast and looks like nothing here at least until January!

4. Dec 21, 2015
    buckabucka

buckabucka Garden Addicted

This weekend the ground was frozen hard and we had some snow squalls, but temperatures are going to be coming up all week. I would like the warmer temperatures to last until New Year's Eve, because this year we are celebrating outdoors. We are going to Eastport to watch the maple leaf and sardine drop!

5. Dec 22, 2015
    jackb

jackb Garden Master

Bing Crosby can keep on dreaming of a white Christmas, it ain't gonna happen here. It is expected to be above 60 on Thursday and above 50 on Friday. Eat your heart out Bing.

6. Dec 22, 2015
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Jack, I just might post a picture of Bing's childhood home with our snow tomorrow. I have to be over in that direction.

While you wait, click on the tiny Santa and enjoy the Drifters ;):

[​IMG]

Steve

7. Dec 23, 2015
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

I'm not sure how well I did with the cellphone camera. Downtown Spokane didn't have a lot of snow but it looked like winter.

IMG_20151222_122353.jpg

Bing's family moved to the city when he was 3. He might have graduated from Gonzaga University but left for California in his final year.

You can see one of the university buildings behind his childhood home. In fact, the house is now owned by the university and serves as the alumni office.

The steeples of St. Aloysius Church can be seen on the right. The church is only a block from his home and Bing was an altar boy there.

Steve

baymule likes this.
  8. Dec 23, 2015
    jackb

jackb Garden Master

Thanks Steve,
    They keep the house in nice shape. It is still really weird in New York with the warm temperatures. The long range forecast for next week is more of the same heading into January. We are on the budget plan for our utilities, and we were just notified by National Grid that starting next month they will reduce our monthly payment by $23.00. So far they owe us about $200, not that I am complaining. On tonight's news an apple grower was expressing concern regarding what this will to to next year's crop if the trees bud too early. Lakes are still open, ducks and geese hanging around, just plain strange.

9. Dec 23, 2015
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

It was 73 degrees here today and I was glad. We needed to put stain on the new porch, most is treated wood, but there is T-111 siding that needed the protection from the weather. Can't paint in the rain and it has to be 60 degrees or above. Tonight it is going to start raining and turn cold, at least cold for these parts. But Christmas day is supposed to be 70* and sunny. Go figure.

10. Dec 23, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

I hate to say it, but I've seen a few leaves budding out around here, and the weather hasn't been all that warm, just above normal. While I love the warmer weather, I don't want another winter like 2012 to ruin the fruit crops.