El nino, weird or what?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over past the elementary school, on one route for my walk ..

. there is a tall lilac I walk under. It has had green buds. But, we had a near record warm October, after September frosts.

I imagine that lilac bush, on the south side of a small hill, if more subdued now that it's winter.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have a couple roses i bought this past spring. i noticed 2 out of the 3 still have green leaves going strong on them. they are just refusing to go dormant. same with a couple of raspberry plants i potted up during the summer. my Mutsu apple refused to go dormant for the longest time too. we've had a few hard frosts that would normally knock everything out for the winter, but these few plants keep refusing to go quietly.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I've seen a few leaves budding out around here, and the weather hasn't been all that warm, just above normal. While I love the warmer weather, I don't want another winter like 2012 to ruin the fruit crops.

Another scientist on TV said to expect an explosion in the bug population in the spring. Still, I don't miss our usual four feet of snow and sub zero cold.

From today's Times Union:
"Christmas Eve — Thursday — will be shorts and T-shirt weather, with highs flirting with 70 degrees, likely besting the Dec. 24 record high of was 57 degrees, set in 1941."

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
70 in December in New York is freakish!

Chickie, I have a Cecile Brunner I planted by the back door late last summer
(West side) and it is still green too. Not freeze dried green, just normal summer green, and we had a good cold snap in November that should have shut it down. I have been shoveling snow on the silly thing to remind it what season we're in now.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
After my morning walk I took a look around the yard. Our foundation plants are still green, the gazania is putting out new growth, chives are growing and dill seeds are germinating. It is going to be warmer here than in Los Angeles on Christmas day.
gazania.jpg
foundation 1.jpg

Latest posts