El nino, weird or what?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It should be a good thing! I think any amount of frost that could have been in the ground has disappeared.

Not quite. I wasn't going to embarrass myself by this admission, but I just got the garlic in the ground on Sunny Saturday. I had to use the pick again.
What was that about pushing envelopes? :oops:

The rain is getting a little chunkier now...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried today, but didn't get the bed finished. I am hoping to stay home tomorrow and get the garlic planted. Today was much cooler than Sunday had been -- temps were nearly the same, but today had no sun and damp, cool breezes.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't had to shut down my cistern pump yet, which we usually do in mid-November to keep it from freezing and bursting.

It has been really annoying for deer season as it is too warm to hang a deer and we've had to hurry to get the butchering done. The meat is best if it has had a week or so to hang.

I have lettuce and escarole growing in and around my front raised bed, still alive, uncovered!

I thought I saw a pair of bluebirds in my backyard the other day...pretty sure they were bluebirds. They were perched on top of the bluebird house too.

What annoys me is that the weather report has been often wrong here lately. They said it was supposed to get up to 67 degrees today, but it only hit 46. I let the fire go out for nothing. I double-checked TWC...nope, I didn't accidentally set my location as OBX.
89.gif

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 what is this hanging a deer of which you speak? :lol: Here in the land of heat, that has never been an option. :\ When I get a deer, I quarter it and pack it in a cooler on ice. Each day I drain it off and add more ice for several days to a week. Then I process it. Just thought I'd throw that out there...... ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 what is this hanging a deer of which you speak? :lol: Here in the land of heat, that has never been an option. :\ When I get a deer, I quarter it and pack it in a cooler on ice. Each day I drain it off and add more ice for several days to a week. Then I process it. Just thought I'd throw that out there...... ;)

I've had to do that a few times, as we did this year. That's what I usually do with my chickens too. I'd love to have a walk-in cooler! Or at least a big fridge just for aging meat.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the land of heat in Cal. ... we have very few options to hang a carcass. One of them was one of the small private butcher shops rented out their walk in cooler space to hang all manner of carcasses at 34* by the week, and offer cut , wrap, and freeze / freezer storage space by the month / year to their customers. :cool:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I could not be happier about this crazy weather! I remember that foot of snow too, Jack! I was wondering how crazy it would be to mow... the grass is shaggy! I am still harvesting broccoli, swiss chard, and beets. Just amazing!

Latest posts