Elephant Ear question for Lesa *** PICTURE! post 8***

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, I am starting some EE bulbs for one of my clients containers. The containers will be on the back deck with morning sun to about 12:30. Do you think that's too much sun? I have the dark ones as well which I think I read can take brighter light /sun than the green ones. Also how do you store yours?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I think the elephant ears can take a bit more sun than we give them credit for! Mine are in sun most of the day. Last summer was very hot and dry. I was not as good as about watering as I should have been and the plants where much smaller than in the past. Those that are in pots set with the bottoms in the water feature did the best. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of mine are right out in full sun. No problem. I store them just like any tuber or bulb. With peat moss or wood chips (whatever I have around.) I have a few of mine potted up, hoping for some earlier ones, this year. Happy Gardening!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! That's good to know! Thanks Carol Dee and Lesa :) . I wanted to do something a little different than what I've planted for her in the past. I'm hoping for something a little dramatic, and semi tropical. They're also supposed to be deer resistant which would be great. She's in a deer hot spot and they eat everything. So much so, that she is having me tear out old established shrubs that they browse the tips of. She's tired of the battle and wants to get away from having to use so much deer repellent.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting... I have never had a deer eat mine, but they are located pretty close to the front of the house- so not much deer action. My last cedar bush is right next to the front of my house, and the deer ate so much of it, I finally trimmed it up- so it has a bare trunk. I will be waiting to hear the report of how hers do. The first I grew them, I did them in pots- I really like the look. Tropical, indeed!

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Water these plants regularly, especially those growing in containers. Although not absolutely necessary, you may also want to apply a slow-release fertilizer to the soil periodically.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well the Elephant Ears did great! I actually planted them in the pots in my clients entry walk (per her suggestion ) instead of her back deck. I planted some Persian Shield with them and they looked fantastic together. Thanks for the tips Lesa Carol and Nelson. :)

7504_rosehips_and_stone_pots_2013_010.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look great! And how much easier to put them up for the winter too. If I am ever entrusted with any elephant ear bulbs again, this is what I'll do. :D

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Thistle, those are beautiful! I love the ruffle, what kind are they?

I killed my first lovely elephant ears by leaving them in the damp ground to freeze. Someone gave me a couple of leftover bits after they had planted theirs and now I've got 3 plants. How do I keep them over the winter?
I assume that I wait till the plant dies back before doing anything. But then what?

Latest posts