Elephant Ear question for Lesa *** PICTURE! post 8***

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look fabulous.

Cane, We allow the plants to die back. If in pots lay on the side so they do not get rain water. Dig tubers and allow to dry completely. Cut off dead foliage. Store in a cool dry place in spagmun (sp?) moss.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow those look awesome!! And the deer didnt bother them?? Just looking at those big juicy leaves, you think they'd mow them down!! Who knows about those crazy critters though!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Wow Thistle, those are beautiful! I love the ruffle, what kind are they?

I killed my first lovely elephant ears by leaving them in the damp ground to freeze. Someone gave me a couple of leftover bits after they had planted theirs and now I've got 3 plants. How do I keep them over the winter?
I assume that I wait till the plant dies back before doing anything. But then what?
Well, I don't actually remember, but I think I saved the label....somewhere....
I bought them at Costco in Feb. or March (?). They came in a bag with some caladiums. The caladiums never sprouted (my fault probably, I started them kinda late ) so I planted the EE with the Persian Shield which worked well.

Funny, the tomato plants I potted up for my son using the potting soil I had started the caladiums in now have half a dozen caladiums growing in them. Obviously next year I'll need to start everything much earlier. :rolleyes:

I wondered if I should let them get frosted, like you do dahlias before I lift and store them. Do you guys do that?

Cane, I found the tag, it says"elephant ear". I hope that's helpful! :p :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
Wow those look awesome!! And the deer didnt bother them?? Just looking at those big juicy leaves, you think they'd mow them down!! Who knows about those crazy critters though!
I know, right? No they didn't touch them, but I sprayed them with deer repellent when I planted them. That doesn't always convince some deer who are compelled to put everything in their mouth.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine usually end up taking a frost or two, before I dig them. The leaves are too much to handle, if you try and dig them, before they die back a bit. The first ones I ever planted I did in a pot- I forgot how cool they look like that. In the big flower garden, they get kind of lost.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistlebloom, the elephant ears look gorgeous! Do you have to dig them up in the fall to keep them from freezing?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
Thistlebloom, the elephant ears look gorgeous! Do you have to dig them up in the fall to keep them from freezing?
Oh yeah, they would freeze and rot otherwise. They are more impressive in person. The homeowner and I were really pleased with the
effect, but unfortunately her husband thought they looked too tropical for the house, and doesn't want them planted in the entry again.
:(

Latest posts