Enjoying the Full Moon?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
GeeZ Bob, that is some heavy fog!

We could see the moon last night through a haze of water droplets, which created that cool moon halo you see sometimes, it was beautiful!!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Clear skies! DH and I drove up to where we could see the full moon come up over the mountains. Took lots of pictures, this was the best:
105.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Heather! Pretty!

Not only no moon, but I didn't see the sun yesterday! Bushes and trees covered with hoarfrost right thru the day. "Rime frost" - I guess that's the correct term . . .

So much fog here . . . The Weather Service says "Patchy" rather than "Dense" by Sunday but . . . they also have the "Sky Cover" at 100% right thru Wednesday!

I can't bear to quote them any more - the rascals . . .

Steve
who will probably just look at your photo several times today because of a need for light . . . it is likely the moon by Jove . . .

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful Heather!
Anythings better than this ugly depressing fog. Give me rain, give me snow, give me wind even!
I don't think I like your forecasters forecast Steve.
I prefer the one I looked at last night that showed a big yellow sun every day next week.
Notice how I don't read weather reports, I rely solely on pictures. I don't want too many details cluttering up my mind!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will guess that it is Jupiter but I couldn't find Gemini right now even if they were fighting in the backseat!!

"Closer to home we find the bright Moon hanging near Jupiter as the week opens, but you won’t need the Moon around to identify Old Jove on any given night. Jupiter shines down from high among the stars of Gemini and, with the current absence of Venus from the sky, is the brightest object in the heavens after the Sun and Moon. Jupiter is a treat to look at with almost any form of optical aid; even a pair of binoculars will give you a good view of the planet and the four bright moons discovered by Galileo in January of 1610. A particularly good night to do this will be that of the 16th, when all four moons will be well-separated from the planet’s disc." US Naval Observatory

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yup that's Jupiter! I looked it up on my iPad app while we were there taking pictures, a free app called GoSkyWatch - you point it around the sky and it identifies things for you! Even constellations, and you can click on the links it pops up for more info. I loooooooooove it, except the free version has ads now, which are very bright and ruin your night vision. :/

I'm bummed that you talk about seeing Jupiter's moons - I had the spotting scope in the car while taking pictures of the moon, from bird watching earlier in the day, and didn't even think about using it to check out the moon or Jupiter!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That wasn't me talking about Jupiter's moons, that was the naval observatory, Heather.

Don't rely on that app! It will probably be trying to sell you a candy bar depending on how many times you point it at Mars!

I'm frustrated with this tablet. Odd how it predicts "tablet" when all I tap is a "t." It knows! And, it's a kindle so amazon knows!

I mean, there aren't drones big enough for the deliveries! Zeppelins circling!

Steve

Latest posts