Enough Rain Already

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, there are cities not too far away that never have mosquitoes. Can't figure that out. I used to be a favorite table until I cut out sugar. Seems like I'm not as sweet so the critters don't like me as much. Of course, as thick as these are, getting bit isn't easy to avoid.

Honestly, I am still working with my own teeth (natural, not purchased) and I don't have a gold piece. Not that I'd bite it anyway. Gold is soft and coins are worth the most in unused condition. Unless I could prove the bite marks were from Billy the Kid or Abe Lincoln, a bite would take $$$$ off the value. Old I am. Stupid? I think not.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only one? I can't bite down on a $50 gold piece without a mouthful of mosquitoes. Can't see the road through the window for all the mosquitoes partying on the screen. They are big and bad this year!
Wisconsin's State Bird is a Mosquito, right?

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to round up the hens and Thing 1 before the storm passed through and 'tricked' them into the safety of their coop. Snacks always work.

Then I had to lasso the 16 not-quite-babies and get them to their shelter. These gals are not as well trained as the big ones, but I did manage to get all 16 in one place.

For some reason, Nesco decided to hunker down under some thick (prickly) brush when the storm was eminent. He was the hardest to wrestle to the ground and 'persuade' into the garden shed so early in the day.

More rain, hot 'n heavy, but now it has passed so I let everyone out again to enjoy the sauna experience. Not a chance of cool air coming in with the rainfall! Nope! Just heated everything back up to higher than bs (before storm).

Love my new geo a/c!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had two whole days where the sun came out and it didn't rain! :weee I fished, I went weenie-camping, took the kids to the park, did a little damage control on the weedy electric fence line for the chickens and garden (or un-garden)...stayed outside and didn't do any housework the whole time! Then we had another torrential downpour this evening. I can't believe how much the 10-day weather forecast changes from one day to the next. They really don't know a thing! Until last minute, at least. We were supposed to have nice, dry weather for the fair this coming week, but now it looks like more rain for the next four days at least. If I see the percentage chance drop below 20%, then I feel a little safer to do a happy dance (and that it won't be mistaken for a rain dance.) :confused:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree....that forecast changes hourly. Yesterday it showed we would be having clear weather for several days coming up...then it showed those same days with thunderstorms every day...this morning it shows a whole week of clear days~something we have not gotten that for 2-3 months now, but I hold no hopes that those sunny symbols on the chart will stay for the whole day of forecasting. Later on it will show little thunderclouds again.

It is true..they don't know ding diddly dang about what is going to happen even 2 days from now, let alone 10 days.

Day before yesterday we got one day without rain, then the next day most of the day it didn't rain but we were happy about that storm coming in the evening, because it dropped the temps from the edge of Hades down to the edge of a volcano.

Today we're back to the edge of Hades.

Though this first year with the wood chips in the garden doesn't do much for the plants, it has been wonderful for all this rain and keeping the weeds down....and I have the biggest and best, most various, crop of fungus you've ever seen growin' out there!

Latest posts