Eucalyptus Trees

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Has anyone grown a eucalyptus tree from a cutting? I live in the desert and they grow well here and make good windbreaks. The trouble is that to buy from a nursery they're very expensive.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hal should be able to help you with this. Hal's a newer member from Australia, so he has to have done a little bit of work with Eucalyptus before. :)

I myself have not done anything at all with Eucalyptus, but would guess that they can be propagated through cuttings just like a fig or willow tree. (Are you a cutting? ;))

I have considered trying a few Cider Eucalyptus trees way up here. One less zone and we wouldn't be able to grow them here. Reportedly they are used to make a cider in their homeland.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somehow cider made out of eucalyptus doesn't sound very good. Might be medicinal, though.
Desertwillow, If I had access to a tree, I would try rooting cuttings in a variety of ways: stick a branch in a potato, like they do with roses....Put one outside in the soil and put a pint jar over it.....use rooting hormone...... use aspirin dissolved in water as rooting hormone.....just stick a branch in water.....anything else I could think of.....

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eucalyptus trees are quite pretty , grow very fast, make good windbreaks, some people grow them in wood lots for firewood. Some of these groves get so thick from new seedlings that one can barely walk though them. In Central Cal. , my tree grew to 20 feet in 3 years starting from a seedling. It broke in half during 40 mph wind. Recovered and grew 10 +/- ft. more within a year. Then the next year the temperature dropped to 22* and it froze to death. Most also shed their barks every year. They are also known to shed large branches when the wind blows. A friend drove her car into a long driveway that had large Eucalyptus trees along it. Then one large branch shed off and hit her car's roof near the back window and startled she hit another tree ... totaled it. Luckily only her nerves were frizzled and only a black and blue area on her side of forehead when her head hit the side window.

Latest posts