Everyone should have a rose in their car

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mom & dad recently (about a year ago) moved into a smaller place--their retirement place. Since then, mom keeps telling me & my sibs she doesn't want us buying her a bunch of "stuff." She doesn't have room for it.

We are allowed to buy her music CD's or movies or those hand held electronic games. LOL

But this year for mother's day, she asked for a rose bush.

I went to Home Depot at lunch today & they had a section of rose bushes in pots. As I walked up, I noticed another lady walking through them and studying them. I asked her,

"Do you know anything about roses?"

She smiled and nodded. This was a lady, probably in her late 40's, about ten years older than me. I knew she had a mama and probably some kids. :) So I told her,

"My mom asked for a rose bush for mother's day and she's never grown roses before."

The lady instantly pointed to one of them (it had been slightly set aside and I wondered later if she hadn't set it aside for herself.) She said, "There's a good one, right there." And truly it was miles beyond all the others that were in the same size pot--it was easily the prettiest one they had outside period. It had a few big pretty blooms on it that were 3-4 inches wide. And several buds and smaller flowers.

I said something like "Wow, that is a nice one." and picked it up. she told me to smell it and I did. You know a big breath that made me sigh and smile the way roses do. She told me, "That's the one you want."

"This is the one." I told her. And before I walked away, she came over to me and explained about the "ball" and pointed it out and said to make sure it is not covered up when she plants it. I was saying how Mom was going to love it and as I was walking away the lady said, "I have over seventy of them."

WOW That's a lot of roses. Long story LONGER, I bought it and put it in the car. MAN the SMELL! I was trying to figure out how I could grow blooming roses in my car all year long. It is almost intoxicating. I had to leave it in the car for the afternoon while I am at work. It's overcast and muggy today, so it is going to be hot and humid inside the car.

Do you think it will be ok for a few more hours? Should I let the windows down? I started to earlier, but it looked like it might rain. I think the threat of rain has passed. I don't want to sauna the poor thing to death before I get it home.

Cassandra

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wow how lovely! And I love to talk to people in the garden departments of local nurseries. What fun and informative people.
I think you most certainly should crack the window if possible. The inside of a car will heat up quick even on an overcast day. Heck-I would have brought it inside to my desk for the afternoon.
So what variety did you pick out?

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hee hee. I did go get it and bring it inside. I didn't at first mainly because I didn't want to be interrogated about it. But since I've already told everyone what I did at lunch, they shouldn't have to ask, "why are you carrying that around? who sent you flowers? etc.."

I checked the pot. It is called Chrysler Imperial. I know nothing about roses personally except they are AWESOME and smell DIVINE. LOL

But if you google images for it, you can see they are lovely.

Cassandra

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would LOVE a rose in my car. What a nice story.

And on that note, when I'm transporting bales of pine shavings for the chicken coop, the car smells heavenly.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What a great story! I'm terribly jealous of anyone that can grow roses! Although I do have a few that look pretty good now - but that always changes by the middle of summer! :/

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Great story and I also love chatting with people about all my obsessions :D ! BUT you forgot to tell us what variety you purchased! Dixie

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I thought I did. It's a Chrysler Imperial. (apparently, it was named after a car.) Anyway, hope she doesn't kill it! :D

Cassandra

Latest posts