Evidently things are not always what they should be.

gudrin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This evening is absolutely beautiful weather-wise. It's still humid, but the temp has gone down and it's just wonderful outside. I went out to feed the dogs, and realized I hadn't gotten the mail yet, and so did that. Then I thought, "I should go take a look at the garden and just see what kind of a job I have ahead of me." It's something I do every day, just because I'm so dang proud of it.

I go and look at the plants, see how the tomatoes and peppers are coming along, and then look at the squash. I notice they're starting to vine a little more, so I step closer to them to see about training the vines to go through the sunflowers. I look down, and see something long and green peeking out from under the leaves. "What the? This is supposed to be winter squash!" is what I think. I figure maybe I got a zucchini in there by accident. Keep in mind I haven't grown this kind of stuff in a long time, so I have trouble telling it all apart until it fruits.

So I reach down to pick it. It just doesn't seem right to be a zucchini, either. It was just a bit too prickly and not as deep green. I poke a hole in it with my finger nail and smell it. Definitely cucumber! Not only that, it's a straight eight type of variety, and I KNOW I only planted picklers, and those on the edge of the garden. If it were a big pickler, it wouldn't look like this. It would just be fat, and not nearly as long nor as green. I know that much from having worked with my dad for years in the garden.

I have to stop and think about this one. I remember that I got my winter squash plants from the nursery. I also remember vividly that I supposedly bought buttercup squash, and planted it right where these plants are. Now I'm getting cucumbers instead! I can't be too frustrated about it though, we all love cucumbers in this family! And on top of that, I peered under the rest of the leaves and found one more cucumber, so I'm thinking a cucumber and tomato salad is in order for tomorrow! My husband will be so surprised! I'm just going to have to get my squash from my dad again this year. I just hope he planted some.

Also, I have something random over by the peas. I have no clue what it is, but it's definitely something "viny." I'm going to let it grow and see what was chance sown there. Maybe it will be another neat little surprise!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't you just love surprises in the garden, its fun to try to figure out what has grown when you havent really planted it.
Yeah keep us updated to what you think is growing by the peas you never know maybe its something really neat ;) .

locavore

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yummmm! Cucumber with ranch is one of my fave summertime snacks!

kenman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When life hands you cucumbers...make pickles, salads, etc.! Then, trade the rest for squash.

gudrin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, my husband is as amused as I am. I called my dad, and he has squash he'll give me this fall. He said that he would really like some freezer corn in exchange for it, so I'll have to really make sure to be around the in-laws when they make it so I can help out!

I'll really laugh if what is over by the peas turns out to somehow be a squash!

Latest posts