"Expert" Opinions

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be sure to load up on fried foods.......probably help your cholesterol if you poured corn syrup (GMO of course) all over the greasy fried foods.....like a deep fried Twinkie..... :lol:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I get the coupon thing if it's non-food items. Razors, or shampoo, detergent etc. I get that since those things can just be stored & used later.

But as far as food goes, even if you buy starts it's what 2 dollars for a 6 cell pack of tomatoes? So your at what 50 cents per plant? And each plant produces how many tomatoes? The savings is right there in front of you.

It's why we can so aggressively. It's literally pennies to make soup, salsa, sauce, & that's just with tomatoes. Imagine the price per lbs of beans against the price of a packet of them? We have soup, stocks, jams, a ton of veggies all lining the shelves in the basement.

They taste better tanned anything from a coupon, & there is SOO much more diversity with those products than with single ready to heat & eat meals too.

How many people under the age of 45 make more than one meal with something? Roast chicken fir night & soup sat night? Or save carcasses for stock? It just doesn't happen anymore. Your throwing money away, but they spend hours cutting coupons. I just don't get it.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How many people under the age of 45 make more than one meal with something? Roast chicken fir night & soup sat night? Or save carcasses for stock? It just doesn't happen anymore. Your throwing money away, but they spend hours cutting coupons. I just don't get it.

OMG, that reminds me of when we were over at a friend's house for Thanksgiving a few years ago...we had cut "most" of the meat off the turkey carcass after eating. All the sudden I turn around to see the man of the house dropping the barely picked bones into the garbage can. I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the floor. If I had seen it before it was actually touching the other garbage in the can I definitely would have taken it home.

I'm under 45, and I make lots of meals from something, but I am definitely aware that I'm an exception. It also helps to keep track of what's been in the fridge and needs to be used before it goes bad. Food waste and people throwing out things simply because the date says it's time is a big problem.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is so much nutrition in bone broths too. So good for you! Store bought broths have "natural flavors"--MSG and too much sodium. You don't get the gelatin and calcium and other trace minerals unless you make it yourself.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am definetly past 45, & have never even thought of making broth from left over bones. Why? Guess because parents didn't so would have to research how to do. So, not just the young.

My wife is queen of letting things expire before using. Her problem?, sees great buy in store and can't help herself. Yes, I'm aware of starving children in Africa.........

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its easy seedcorn! Put bones in pot, cover with water. if you have some, add veggies like carrots, celery, whatever. Put on stove, boil and dont forget about the boiling pot on the stove! If you want "clear" broth (not hazy) dont totally bring to a boil, just simmer quietly. I dont worry about this, i just boil away. Eventually take bones out. If its a bird carcass i pick off whatever meat bits were left and add back to broth after the carcass cools off. I usually try and reduce my broth to maybe 1/10 of the amount of liquid i started out with if its for storage. If i'm making soup right away i will just go till its reduced maybe by a 1/4. Since ya'll know i dont measure that's just a rough estimate!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that recipe NtwMtGardener. I admit I'm one of those that throws the turkey carcass away. From now on, I'm gonna make broth out of it and freeze it. I just bought a rotisierre chicken, I suppose I can do the same with it?

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that recipe NtwMtGardener. I admit I'm one of those that throws the turkey carcass away. From now on, I'm gonna make broth out of it and freeze it. I just bought a rotisierre chicken, I suppose I can do the same with it?

Mary
Yes, you can. You could use the broth and little chicken bits for some great soup in a couple days, or freeze it for later use. I just did that for supper tonight, with a chicken carcass from earlier in the week. Made some biscuits to go with it---yum.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We cook all sorts of stuff down. Say it's a chicken. We use rotisserie birds for that Mary all the time. Boil it for a 10 minutes with a bunch of veggies. Carrots, onion, garlic, celery, spices & let it simmer overnight. Low as the stove goes kind of simmer. Lids on it just does it's thing. In the AM I pull it off, strain off the carcass, & any left over veggie chunked, let it cool a bit then into the fridge. Let it cool, skim the fat. Then boil for a few & can it for later.

Latest posts