"Expert" Opinions

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just stumbled across this article on making broth. It reminded me that no one mentioned about skimming the scum! As you're cooking down your bones, scoop out the foamy weird stuff that floats to the top. They actually recommend cooking bones for much longer than it sounds like most people here do - all day for beef and chicken, so that you get the important nutrients released from the bone. And they add a little vinegar, which i've never done but makes sense. There are recipes for you recipe followers out there!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OH! I just found an even better article about making broth in your slow cooker. Its very well illustrated, and explains why I wasnt getting a good gel when i made broth. I was using too much water/not enough bones. I also like that she uses the veggie skins, why the heck not!

Nourishing Chicken Broth

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My little grand daughter loves my home canned chicken broth. Sometimes she wants chicken broth soup for supper, along with several scrambled eggs from "her" chickens. :) Last time she was here, I was out of broth. Out of the mouths of babes......."Mamaw, you need to go kill a chicken!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carrots are an important part of it. I just scrub them. Sometimes, those dry onion skins go in too - nice color.

I don't use much salt and none in the stock, Heather. I couldn't find the Golden Mountain unhydrogenated and just got another bottle of Maggi sauce. It is a favorite but there are others. They still don't go in until the stock is used for something for dinner.

I used to roast the bones 1st but forgetting them in the oven a couple of times put an end to that practice.

Steve