EZ Soups

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I often add cheddar to my tomato soup.

NyBoy, never let a bone go out of the house, unboiled. Even a small t-bone will make enough broth for a couple of servings. If you want to make your broth a little more special, roast the beef or chicken or turkey bones in the oven before boiling them. Pay attention so they don't burn.

There are many ideas on broth ingredients. Mostly, I just make sure there is enough water to get them through 90 minutes of simmering. Veggies can be the coarsest things, maybe the tops of the celery stalks but just don't plan on eating anything in the pot except the broth after all that cooking. Strain.

Tomato soup? I clean up the tomatoes, pare them to acceptable chunks, and run them through the blender - skins and all. Grind some pepper and allow a few minutes of boiling the puree with the broth. Toss in a big handful of shredded cheddar, allow it to melt while stirring, splash in some half and half, reheat, and you've got soup!

Steve
IMG_20160917_195820453_HDR_kindlephoto-11305870.jpg
I tried to write down a recipe for a spicy tomato soup. No half & half in the fridge or that would have been nice ;). The tomatoes I used were a little more ripe than the ones in the picture but these are my common choices for ingredients. Here are the approximate amounts:

3 cups pulp from ripe tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
1 teaspoon of Mrs. Dash
2 teaspoons of Maggi sauce
1/4 teaspoon Super Chili hot pepper flakes
2 ounces of cheese

I used a hand blender and chunks of tomatoes, unpeeled. Begin simmering the pulp and stir frequently during the first few minutes. Add all ingredients except the cheese. Simmer, stirring now and then for 20 minutes. Adjust seasonings and stir in cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and thoroughly mixed into the soup. Serve!

The result is about two cups. Have you ever heated V8 juice, adding a grind of black pepper and a dash of Tabasco sauce? I like that too but your ripe heirlooms make this more complex and delicious. I often sauté onions and maybe celery as a substitute for Mrs Dash.

I emphasize soup as the green tomatoes ripen slowly on the counter after the first frost. However, it's right now when they are vine-ripened that those tomatoes have the most flavor to contribute :).

Just my simple goings-on in the kitchen. I can make this, sprinkle it with croutons or serve with whole wheat toast and have lunch eaten and enjoyed in one hour ...

:) Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds really good Steve. Have I asked what the Maggi sauce is? If I did, it didn't stick in my brain.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember you asking @so lucky and me digging into Google to find answers, then or at another time.

The Swiss guy who first made Maggi was trying to come up with something like bouillon, an instant soup base. It's made with wheat but is a lot like soy sauce. Nestle owns the brand and I even see it in Wal-Mart.

A long time ago, I had a favorite place to stop for hamburgers. The owners were Italian but there I was for their hamburgers ;). I sat at the counter and noticed the cook using Maggi sauce. Ah, Ha!

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
THAT is an October picture of the week if I've ever seen one!
THANKS Cane, that is what we had last night. A good meal in the late summer and early fall using all the produce from the garden. If we raised our own beef we would not have anything store bought in it! :)

Latest posts