EZ Soups

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I often add cheddar to my tomato soup.

NyBoy, never let a bone go out of the house, unboiled. Even a small t-bone will make enough broth for a couple of servings. If you want to make your broth a little more special, roast the beef or chicken or turkey bones in the oven before boiling them. Pay attention so they don't burn.

There are many ideas on broth ingredients. Mostly, I just make sure there is enough water to get them through 90 minutes of simmering. Veggies can be the coarsest things, maybe the tops of the celery stalks but just don't plan on eating anything in the pot except the broth after all that cooking. Strain.

Tomato soup? I clean up the tomatoes, pare them to acceptable chunks, and run them through the blender - skins and all. Grind some pepper and allow a few minutes of boiling the puree with the broth. Toss in a big handful of shredded cheddar, allow it to melt while stirring, splash in some half and half, reheat, and you've got soup!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My soup making process is a bit more complicated, but it does result in a very easy Saturday night supper. I’ll try to go step-by-step.

First plant a garden, veggies and herbs. Harvest and store produce as appropriate if you will not be using it fresh.

Hatch chickens eggs and raise them to butchering age. Butcher them, reserving certain parts for the table and certain parts for broth.

Make chicken broth, using reserved chicken parts and appropriate veggies and herbs. Pressure can chicken broth after separating out the parts of chicken meat you find floating in there. This meat is suitable for use in soup but I have other uses for it.

Make seven quarts of soup since that is what my pressure canner will hold. Use the canned chicken broth and appropriate herbs and veggies. There are different recipes available. Pressure can seven quarts of soup.

On Thursday cook one of those chickens that you reserved for the table. Have that for supper, reserving any leftover meat.

Saturday evening debone the reserved leftover meat and open a quart of soup. Heat that up with the deboned meat. Add cheese and crackers and you have a very simple very satisfying Saturday evening meal.

My grandmother had a cookbook that she passed down to Mom, and then to my sister. One of the recipes for a chicken dish started out "Catch and butcher a chicken"

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, since you don't have a vegetable garden handy, you could get some frozen mixed veggies at the store.
The easiest hamburger stew is a pound of ground beef browned, a chopped onion, a couple of cut up potatoes, a pound of frozen mixed veggies, a can of diced tomatoes, a pint of chicken stock, a bay leaf, water, salt and pepper.
I couldn't figure out why my mom's stew had a richness that mine didn't have, till I caught her adding shredded cheese while she thought I wasn't looking. Haha.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has any parent here kept a favorite recipe from their daughter inlaw ?
NOPE, I even gave her a cookbook I made with my son's favorite recipes and tried and true family faves. She moved out and took cook book with her. :(