Facing The Fear

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
"I know previously they recommended curbing the squash and canning it that way but I think even that practice is discouraged.
[/QUOTE]
I did the cubed pumpkin a few years back. It was a lot of work because the pumpkin was difficult to cut and peel.
By the time it underwent the canner it tasted burnt.
I think somethings are not worth the effort.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can pears in apple juice. I do put a little lemon juice in the water where I put them as I am peeling and quartering them to stop them from turning brown, but not enough to add any real flavor. That apple juice is good to drink too without sugar.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zestar.JPG
Jonigold.JPG
Enterprise.JPG

My own apples? Yeah you could say that. But the juice I used on the pears was purchased.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Carol Dee This is the first year they have produced worth anything. Believe it or not I removed about 2/3 of them when they were small to keep them from overloading the branches. The ones on top, Zestar developed in Minnesota, are ripe now and Oh so good! Great for fresh eating. I need to do something with them before the june bugs eat them up. I'll probably try storing some of them for fresh eating in the fridge. The others I'll probably can as apple jelly and apple sauce when they are ready. Does anyone have a good apple pie filling recipe I could can in a quart jar. I may be looking for that recipe too. Maybe just dump in a pie crust, top with cheese, and bake? It's nice to have too many apples.

Latest posts