Failure to thrive

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can give me some insights on what is going wrong with my flowers.

As you may remember, I bought about half a dozen different varieties of flower seeds for a deck garden: different kinds of zinnias, marigolds, geraniums, petunias, and morning glories. I started them under lights and everything popped right up.

Then disaster hit in the form of damping off. I immediately repotted everything and moved them out to the porch for better air circulation. Nonetheless, I lost all of the zinnias and petunias. I lost most of the marigolds and morning glories. I lost none of the geraniums.

The survivors have now been growing for about 4 weeks. They get water, have plenty of filtered sunlight, have been fertilized with a liquid fertilizer (Miracle Grow) according to directions. They are potted in a good commercial mix and not in plain garden soil.

My problem is that, in the case of the marigolds, they are supposed to be blooming in 2 more weeks but they only have 2 small leaves apiece at this point. The geraniums are supposed to take longer, of course, but they, too, have only 2 leaves--and those leaves are smaller than my pinky nail!

Is there anything I can do to help overcome this failure to thrive? Anything I should have done to avoid it in the first place? The only thing I have not been able to control is the nighttime temps because they are out on the porch and not in the house anymore. The temps drop into the 40s, although the daytime temps have been high 70s and low 80s. Is this a factor?

Rusty
(who is scratching his head over this!)

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Rusty, It sounds like your low overnight temps are the culprit. While it's not cold enough to kill the plants it is cold enough to cause them to get in a start/stop growing cycle. At around 40-45degrees plants go sort of dormant. Constantly going back and forth like causes them to grow super slowly.

Once things warm up at night they will respond normally and grow like crazy. All this means is you will have mature plants a little later in the season. Hope this helps.:)

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sure hope you are right because this has been driving me BATS! I have never had problems getting things to start before. In fact this was my first-ever bout with damping off. I had to go research to find out what was happening to my seed flats. Maybe next year I'll try one of those seedling heat pads if I have to put them outside so early. --Or-- Would putting the seedlings in a cold frame have avoided this? I have been toying with the notion of building one to overwinter a few perennial herbs. Maybe this would be a better use of the cold frame space?

Thanks!

:D

Rusty

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your frustration...I love my cold frames. I am in zone 4, and I start everything but my tomatoes in them. In zone 7, I would think you could use cold frames in March, if not sooner. They do not have to be fancy. My first one was a large shipping crate, cut in half on the diagonal. Put an old window on top and you have a cold frame. You completely avoid the hardening off process and the plants take full advantage of the sunshine, wind, etc. On bad days, I just keep the windows in place...I have used old trunks, drawers, dresser bodies, almost anything with an old window over it would work. Some folks use hay bales, as well. Good luck!

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a couple of sheets of plywood left from coop building and a few concrete blocks. I've been toying with setting the blocks in the ground about half way and placing the structure itself on them and filling inside with gravel about 8-10" deep. I haven't found any old windows yet, so SO suggested we build a frame on hinges for the top and cover it with clear heavy plastic. Think that would work, since we are in Zone 7b? Or would the plastic not keep out enough cold?

Gee, can you tell this former Florida boy has NO experience with cold?

:D :D :D

Rusty

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Absolutely, the plastic will work fine. If a really cold night is predicted you can throw an old blanket over it. Try it, you'll like it!!

Latest posts