Fairly certain i have a cootie

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i've tried searching for what it is, but im having no luck ..
anyone know what the wormy thing is, or what has attacked my morning glory .. they seem to be eating the leaves from the inside, leaving like a gray window through the leaves .. very gross .. i cut off all the leaves that had the 'windows' on them and found LOTS of brown dead leaves, i dont know if the bug got to those or they died naturally ..
this plant grows in complete shade on the north side of my house, climbing up and through my nandina shrubs .. (i dont know if all that matters - just trying to give a whole picture)
well thanks for any help ..

6271_bug.jpg

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Leaf miner maybe?
I am not sure what it is yet I have been looking.

Leaf Miners leave trails so I don't think that is what they are,but again not sure.

Edited to add pic from net of leaf miner.

lfminer.jpg

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is that one of the culprits in your photo at the top right, chills?

If so, probably some type of moth, larval stage. You might be able to identify by trying to capture/identify the moth itself...if there are any still around. Good luck! :)

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch - thank you for the start, some research and i think that is it, then others it doesnt look like it ........ grrr..
so gross ..
injunjoe - i agree, its frustrating me .. i struggle enough not killing the greenery, i dont need some bug helping me! and then what if hes a good guy and im suppose to give up a few leaves to him ??
bid - yes .. some leaves had 5-6 of these wormy things .. what i found on miners is they are a worm that transforms into a moth ?? oooo i am so grossed out by these guys, good idea to keep one and see what we get, maybe i can talk my son into babysitting the cootie .. yuck .. i just want to throw them out!!

do you think just put some leaves into a bug holder (i only have a kid cootie catcher) or do you think they need to remain on the plant to keep feeding?

would this cootie catcher work? and maybe just watch everyday to see what they do, throw a leaf or two in there for them to eat?
6271_cootie_catcher.jpg

thanks guys

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That photo of the bug house (aka cootie catcher) brought back some memories. Discovering all kinds of bugs under a bed in the container or worse, escaped! :lol: TAKE THOSE BUGS OUTSIDE!!!

Actually I was thinking more of looking around to see if any of the moths...if that's what it is... are still hanging around to lay their eggs. Hard to say how long the pupal stage might be since we don't know what it is. Some pupate underground as well. Of course, your son would probably welcome the opportunity to "raise" the bugs. But if he starts dragging in all manner of creepy crawlies to raise...don't blame me! :hide

Latest posts