fall and winter lettuce

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've had an unusually warm fall (70 degree temps up to yesterday!) and my lettuce is doing great. Here's a picture from about a month ago, and I've been harvesting the outer leaves every few days since then... it's still going.

111125_5944 by wsmoak, on Flickr

I'm primarily working with a big packet of leaf lettuce blend from Gurneys, it has Red Sails, Green Leaf, Oak Leaf, and a couple others.

What lettuce varieties are your favorites?

-Wendy

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your lettuce looks great!! I was thinking of planting more lettuce. We are in zone 7 or 8....west of Columbia SC.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Seems as though you are having ideal Winter lettuce weather. Short days combined with above freezing temps will always give you good lettuce. I love that oak leaf lettuce for Spring planting. If you get a warm spell in late Spring, early Summer, it doesn't go bitter like so many varieties.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is easy to over-look some real nice ones outside the Leaf or Iceberg lines.

A Butterhead called Nancy is a favorite of mine :). I always seem to have Buttercrunch, also.

Nevada Batavian grows nicely here. I don't suppose that with a name like Nevada, it seems a little more tolerant of kind of difficult lettuce-growing conditions.

The seed companies make it harder for us with the names. Batavian is also known as Summer Crisp or French Crisp (even tho' Batavia is in the Netherlands and not France :/).

Butterheads/Boston/Bibb all seem to be a family also . . .

Steve

bzbrown

Sprout
Reaction score
Your lettuce looks great! Mine is not nearly as big, but is surviving these silly cold snaps we've had.

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My spinach is doing great, as is Parris Island romaine. I sure wish I had some of your Red Sails!!!!! :drool

dixie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted my fall crop a little late, but it is under a row cover in one of my SFG boxes & growing, although slowly. I planted one of the Baker Creek mixes.

Latest posts