Fall garden tasks

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have kale, cauliflower, cabbage (70 day kind) and beets on the patio. I should have started more beets. They really look good. I am going to be putting the beets in the garden within the next few days. I am going to transplant the cabbage and cauliflower into bigger cups and put them in the garden when I get the onions out. I am going to direct sow collards, carrots and beets. I feel it is a waste of time for the carrots, but I am going to try. I found an on line schedule that said I could direct sow bok-choy, lettuce, spinach, mustard around July 27 and Aug. 10 would be my last day I could direct sow spinach. I am not sure what I will do with the kale. I guess plant it when I plant the cabbage. I am going to put sage branches and lavender around the area where I plant the cabbage, kale and cauliflower. I did that last year and it worked to keep the slugs out, pretty good. I read they do not like certain herbs. I have been putting the seedlings inside the sawhorse greenhouse at night because last year the slugs were eating the seedlings on the patio. I also planted too late. The cabbage never did finish and it froze. I got a tiny little bit of broccoli.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I just caved in.....went to WalMart for something.....walked through the garden section and they had tomato plants. They had German Johnson tomato plants so I bought 4 of them. My tomatoes are all but crispy now and the seeds I planted came up, looked around at the heat and immediately died. :barnie It won't be long before we close on the place we are buying, and fall garden won't be on the list of things to do. :hit I just don't know how I will make it without a fall garden. I might have to resort to.....GASP! buying vegetables. :tongue

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I thought it was too hot already for you to plant new tomatoe plants?

I saw some in gallon pots with flowers but passed since I didn't think I had enough time in the season to plant them. Besides I don't have any more room! :D

Mary

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have tried bought tomato plants and "made" plants from my own this time of year for a "fall crop" I have never got any to live. Technically we have enough days until frost, especially for the faster matruring varieties, but getting them through our summer isn't easy.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted my 4 tomato plants this morning. I dug holes, tossed in a couple tablespoons of Epsom salts and topped with chicken compost. Set in the plants after trimming off the lower leaves and filled holes with more compost. We'll see......

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mulch them @baymule mulch them. And water, water, water. Some shade from a lattice or something like that might not be a bad idea. Wind is probably not that huge a problem for you this time of year, scorching and calm without a cooling breeze more likely than scorching and windy, but a dry wind can suck the moisture out of them in no time flat. Even in the spring I often put up some kind of wind screen on transplants, usually just pile up a mound of dirt on the upwind side.

I have the same summer issues with starting a fall garden you do, though your conditions are probably a bit more severe. Transplants can be really rough but starting things from seed can be even harder. Good luck with those tomatoes.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mulch them @baymule mulch them. And water, water, water. Some shade from a lattice or something like that might not be a bad idea. Wind is probably not that huge a problem for you this time of year, scorching and calm without a cooling breeze more likely than scorching and windy, but a dry wind can suck the moisture out of them in no time flat. Even in the spring I often put up some kind of wind screen on transplants, usually just pile up a mound of dirt on the upwind side.

I have the same summer issues with starting a fall garden you do, though your conditions are probably a bit more severe. Transplants can be really rough but starting things from seed can be even harder. Good luck with those tomatoes.
Thanks ridgerunner!! I have grass clippings, I'll mulch them good with those.

Latest posts