fall gardening

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm starting to plan a fall garden and am not really sure where to begin. I haven't even looked for websites with info on it, that will be my next stop, I just think that y'all have so much good experience to offer that I wanted to ask you first.

I was wanting to do a fall garden because our growing season is pretty long, and this is the first year for this garden and I want to try to control the weeds so I don't have to start all over again next year.

My plan is to have a fall harvest, till, mulch with pine shavings/dust from the chickens (already started as compost), and then till again early spring - letting the chickens in there to help keep things tossed around until planting time comes.

I am a newby, so any other info y'all think I might need would be appreciated as well.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can grow quite a bit with a fall garden. I generally start broccoli in early August to transplant in October. Collards, turnips, beets, lettuce and peas direct seeded in September. Then I just hope the weather co-operates and a late heat wave doesn't hit in late December.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I found a really good resource from my extension office (Purdue), so if you're in Indiana, I'll happy to send it to you. It has last planting dates for tons of crops (also has first planting dates for the spring). If you're not in IN, check with your extension agent to find out if they have something similar for your state.

Here in the Midwest, I've found it can be kind of challenging to plant in the fall because the weather is VERY unpredictable - lots of weirdly hot or weirdly cold days throughout the season. But my best piece of advice is to have a setup where you can cover what you're growing pretty easily. I had my best luck this spring with a raised bed and some old windows to use when it was chilly.

Big Red Hen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the Fall so I can plant more collards and turnips...I may do broccoli too. I'm in zone 8 so I'll start planting in August.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This fall I plan on doing mostly brocoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and lettuce. maybe carrots and pea.... and maybe some beets and swiss chard and cabbage.... and anything I can possible shove in the ground :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Definitely do the extension agent thing. They should have planting times.

I like greens, so I recommend lettuce, spinach, kale and chard. The kale especially will last a lot longer than you'd think.

My carrots lasted in the ground until they started growing this spring. They were very sweet. I did cover them for protection from frosts and had them mulched. Once it warmed up and they started growing, they had to be tossed.

I planted leeks last spring and they lasted in my garden all winter. I planted more leeks last fall and they are now becoming the proper size to eat. They make great soup. Cover to protect against heavy frost. They can take a light frost.

Radishes develop quickly. A good fall crop once it cools a little.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

I have got various seedlings already through in pots & modules, leeks, fennel, celeriac, all sorts of cabbage, early sprouting broccoli etc, to take me through the autumn & onwards in to next March. Later I will direct sow more carrots, more leeks, chard, kale & spinach. I don't have to plant huge quantities for just me, but the chickens need stuff for the winter so I plant extra greens for them. I intend growing patches of clover as well wherever can space. They love that & it is supposed to be the best crop for them. :D

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts