Fall Herbs planters

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK I put in an awesome herb garden and I loved it. Now we have frost hinting here and I am thinking of bringing in some of my herbs. I want to dry some of the sage (I have a ton of it), I want to pot my thyme and maybe some of the chives. I want to maybe transplant my parsley into a hoop house. I am not sure if this is possible so I will take as much advise as you have. I think the thyme should transplant ok but not sure about the chives. Oh, I also have marjoram that I would like to transplant.

My rosemary is already in a pot but it really doesn't look good. I am not sure what to do with it. The leafs are brown and have been for several weeks. I am not sure if I am over watering or under watering. I am think about just planting it into the ground and taking my chances with it. The garden spot is on the south side of my house and between the sun and the brick from the house I think it mights far better in the ground then in the pot. Any suggestions?

I might plant it next to the parsley and then set an old window in front of it for the winter. I had parsley last year until about Christmas but this year it has only started growing about a month ago. It just took forever and that is another reason why I want to transplant because I haven't had a chance to really have parsley this year and if it takes as long to grow next year as it did this year I will go crazy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never had any trouble with potting thyme. The pots can be mostly buried for the winter and, as long as drainage is adequate, the plants should start off growing in the spring. Chives haven't been potted up during the fall that I can remember. They survive just fine in the ground and can go in pots come spring. They more-or-less are just fine on that schedule.

I have only had marjoram once. It spent the summer in the greenhouse - everything fully open but couldn't survive the winter in there with no heat.

I'd never get rosemary thru an outdoor winter, here. The plant turning brown doesn't sound so great. Maybe pruning off dead foliage would be a way to go.

Parley is a biennial, you know. It stays outdoors all winter here. . . then, it just wants to bolt to seed. I grow it from seed every year. If the parsley really didn't do much of anything in 2012, maybe it needs this time to grow.

I can check this thread tomorrow when I'm not so dang sleepy . . .

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you want to have a few fresh herbs for winter, you might try potting some of your parsley and keeping it in a sunny windowsill in the house. My mother had an inside parsley plant for many, many years. I tried desperately to keep my rosemary going, by bringing it inside... no luck. It wouldn't hurt to try, but it sounds like it is on its last leg now. If you enjoy basil, you can cut some and let it root in the house in water- and then pot it up. So sad to say goodbye to our summer gardens....

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

There ought to be a late '60's tune about these things!

And, if you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair

I just need some Parsley to be complete.
Would Celeriac do?

Celeriac, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme
that changes the rhythm

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah I am not worried about them making it through the winter. I have three thyme plants and I only want to take one indoors to have thyme all winter. I know the marjaram won't make it anyway. I am just wanting to use fresh herbs without having to buy them. I am planning on trying to bring in the parsley and maybe some chives as well.

For the most part I am going to leave my herb garden to come back next year.

If my basil has flowered and it has can I still dry the leaves? I know that it makes the leaves stronger tasting but if I am using dried I don't know if it will matter.

Oh and Marshallsmyth I love that song.:rose

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can use the basil after it flowers. They claim the most oil will be in the leaves just prior to flowering, but I find that the flavor is fine after it blooms.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
You can use the basil after it flowers. They claim the most oil will be in the leaves just prior to flowering, but I find that the flavor is fine after it blooms.
Oh good mine is like small trees and I really like using fresh herbs instead of dried and if I can use them in they're current state I will do that until we get close to a frost. I have genevese and lemon basil. I am going to harvest my oregano because that is better dried. So far our weather looks fine with no signs of frost. The county next too our had frost last week but we were lucky.