Fall is a coming

Billp53

Sprout
Reaction score
Will my garden is starting to play out as the weather is getting cooler so I'm pulling things up and taking them to my compost pile in the back of my yard so fall must be a coming. After I pull the plants up I'll add the dirt from each box to the compost and store the boxes. Soon I'll start building new boxs so that I'll be ready come next spring as I want to increase my raised garden to three times the size it was this year.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! billp53, you are very ambitious. Welcome to TEG, you will love it here. We all love pictures so feel free to post some of your garden!

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You must have a had a very successful growing season if you are planning that large of an expansion! Good for you! What crop did best for you this year?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It got down to 49.8 degrees this morning here in so called zone 8. So far the Amaranths and Quinoa have been harvested, the fall garden is splendid. I harvested a watermelon radish. It was delicious! I harvested a round red turnip that was almost ready too. It was also delicious!. The Beans are mostly doing a rebloom. The very slowest to mature Beans are the Petaluma Gold Rush. I like that as a challenge. Also equally slow to mature are the star beans, tarahumara and vavapai.

I sure wish I could make my garden 3 times the size again! But alas, the powers that be tell me no on that, plus, my energy level tells me no too. Enlarging my garden last winter I lost nearly 40 pounds.

I think today I'll take out the last two sunflowers.

My Large White Commercial Bush Limas are really producing now, and yesterday I got a good number of Baby White Commercial Bush Limas to start on their producing period. The Hopi Beige Limas were first, and also most productive. Those are a tender 4 foot vining type. I only have a few Christmas Lima plants this year among my mixed group of pole varieties, and they did well. I'm liking the Limas a lot, and am thinking a few new Lima varieties next year for my collection would be cool.

My Fresno Pepper has rebloomed, and I have a good set of small green ones working on maturing. The Jalapeno Pepper hidden from the gophers did not need to be I guess. It has Peppers ready to pick. It grew nice and tall for light. Good job Jalapenos! Kept them hidden under the leaves. Like.

All the Tepary varieties are still producing steadily, except maybe the Tierra Gold which did not impress me. Guess I'm spoiled by the Paiute varieties. The Tierra Whites are doing great though. The 2 by 7 foot patch so far has a 12 ounce coffee can almost half full of densely packed small Tepary beans. Not the slightest bit of disease gets the Teparies! Desert adapted, they also do very well in a small forest clearing.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Billp53 said:
After I pull the plants up I'll add the dirt from each box to the compost
Bill, don't pull up your bean, pea, or other legume plants. Cut the tops off and leave the roots for when you shift the soil to the compost pile. The roots hold nitrogen and you don't want to remove them from the soil.

Love, Smart Red

Latest posts