Fall planting question

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've been having so much fun killing bugs and pulling weeds :lol: that I don't want the joy to end too soon, so I 'm going to try some fall plantings this year.

Now, my question is...when do I put the stuff (mainly broccoli) that I start indoors out in the garden? Spring planting is kind of a no brainer, but am I waiting for certain temps, hours of daylight, or just a strong seedling?

Actually the garden has exceded my expectations this year and it's a lot more fun to kill weeds than clean house!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would wait for your temps to cool a bit. Check out the LSU ag site for a cool pdf. I think your temps should be similar and you can use it as a guide if Texas doesn't have one. As for me I started my broccoli, collards, Brussels sprouts but won't plant til early September. I will also plant late season beans in late august.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Check the date to maturity and your expected first frost date. Plant accordingly, remembering that anything in the cole family (cabbage, kale, collars, broccoli and cauliflower actually taste better after a light frost. It takes a hard freeze to kill them. Chinese greens are usually more heat tolerant so can be planted right about now.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good question!

I am also a bit more iffy here in San Diego as to when to plant.

Digitalseed says now for many crops, but Aug/Sept and even October can sure be hot!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
beavis said:
Good question!

I am also a bit more iffy here in San Diego as to when to plant.

Digitalseed says now for many crops, but Aug/Sept and even October can sure be hot!
I already have my kailaan and red mustard up and growing but I'm not as hot here on the coast as you are.

Latest posts