Fall prep on Sedums

M.sue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have several Sedum plants through my landscaping. I was wondering which is best to do 1. Cut them back now for the winter? 2. Leave them & cut them in the early spring? I know I've done both in the past and they've always survived the harsh winters we have but was just wondering which is best for I don't want to loose any.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always cut my taller sedums (like Autumn Joy ) down in the late fall to about 4". The low growers I just leave and tidy up in the spring.
I don't think it matters which you choose, they're pretty hardy. I just prefer to get as much cleanup done in the fall so things aren't so slimy in the spring.

M.sue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I always cut my taller sedums (like Autumn Joy ) down in the late fall to about 4". The low growers I just leave and tidy up in the spring.
I don't think it matters which you choose, they're pretty hardy. I just prefer to get as much cleanup done in the fall so things aren't so slimy in the spring.
Thank you....My tall Sedums are Autumn Joy. I too let the low growers alone....no work there. Today is nice out, don't think we'll be getting very more so it's outside I go to cut. Does make sense to do the clean now. Thanks again.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I found sedums in the yard, when we
bought the place last summer. I had no idea what they were, just succulents. I collected the few I found, and planted them in an old dead stump. I just let them do their thing.
They came up beautifully this spring.