Falling Iris

lfoose

Sprout
Reaction score
I have several Iris plants that have the flower stalks that grow upright and beautiful for a while. Then when there are blooms on them, they fall down. These were transplated last year. Could they need more water? Or just a good feeding?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If they are a tall variety in an exposed location that may be just how it goes. You might consider replacing them with a shorter-growing cultivar.

Look for borers and/or rot in the part of the stem where they fold over, it's not out of the question but it's not my first bet.

Good luck,

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I support mine every year, they're fairly near the road and the wind blows them down - I use Y stakes, they're unobtrusive. I wouldn't be without tall iris! I'll take a picture tomorrow if it isn't too wet out there.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mother's solution for the ones that are most apt to topple over is to cut them for indoor use :) As long as you remove the ucky spent ones, iris make pretty good cutflowers; the blooms will continue to open sequentially up the spike.

Pat, whose short grape-jelly-colored iris are just over and tall ugly pink ones just starting

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think no matter how much food or water you give them they will bend. I started mine from a couple of seedlings from my next door neighbor 15 years ago and now they are growing in huge clumps a couple of feet wide and long. I have to keep digging them up by the shovelful to keep them in line. They are beautiful but even though I dug them up last year and only left one group I now have several again plus they spread down the border about 15 feet just in the past month! It looks like they were planted like that on purpose, maybe they think if they cooperate I will let them stay.;)
I would just stake them or cut them like everyone said. They will be back and they will get bigger and stronger over the years and won't fall over as soon.
I did notice that if there are strong compact plants in front of them they support the iris and keep them from hitting the ground when they lean.

Latest posts