Farmer Market

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This morning, I was arranging a small table flower set before we had breakfast in the greenhouse. Suddenly an idea came to my mind!

Instead of the usual "bouquets", we can get from the flower shops, I decided to sell such kinds of table flowers. Not only hero flowers like roses, peonies, and lilies can be in the play, but also all pretty little flowers, foliages, and fruits can participate in the party!

Do you find the weeds and grasses here? They presented a harmonious scene for me.
3197_0.jpg

3198_0.jpg

So, I found a glass and made the second set. Do you find parsley and wild grape leaves?
3199.jpg

Finally, I took one cup and arranged a mockup. I want to make something people are willing to look at them for some while and find some surprise and joy.

Besides, the price will be more friendly - easier to attract people to bring one home and set it on a table.
3207.jpg

How do you think?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very, very nice.

We also used wild harvested plants. Foremost, I suppose was the perennial babies breath. Annual babies breath could be grown in the garden but I didn't want to mess with the perennial and, why bother when it grew here and there on unused ground (usually not far from the railroad)? Hung up and dried, it helps provide some stucturing for bouquets.

You mentioned using a weed related to snow-on-the-mountain, I forgot your name for it. We did, also. Be careful with the drippy sap - may cause a rash. There also is one rather dramatic carrot family member with white flowers. Very useful, however, lots of yellow flowered parsnips grow around here. Unfortunately, it smells funny ;). Lupines are blooming here right now - early season when it iis difficult to have annual anything. Pretty flowers.

Remember, your customer has to take the bouquet home. Often, it will be dropped on a car seat, carried awkwardly on top of other purchases, and left out of a vase for some time. Harvest while flowers are tight to try to make your bouquet a little secure from such treatment. Customers become somewhat distraught when they realize that they are leaving a trail of petals on their trips home.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very, very nice.

We also used wild harvested plants. Foremost, I suppose was the perennial babies breath. Annual babies breath could be grown in the garden but I didn't want to mess with the perennial and, why bother when it grew here and there on unused ground (usually not far from the railroad)? Hung up and dried, it helps provide some stucturing for bouquets.

You mentioned using a weed related to snow-on-the-mountain, I forgot your name for it. We did, also. Be careful with the drippy sap - may cause a rash. There also is one rather dramatic carrot family member with white flowers. Very useful, however, lots of yellow flowered parsnips grow around here. Unfortunately, it smells funny ;). Lupines are blooming here right now - early season when it iis difficult to have annual anything. Pretty flowers.

Remember, your customer has to take the bouquet home. Often, it will be dropped on a car seat, carried awkwardly on top of other purchases, and left out of a vase for some time. Harvest while flowers are tight to try to make your bouquet a little secure from such treatment. Customers become somewhat distraught when they realize that they are leaving a trail of petals on their trips home.

Steve
Thanks, Steve; I will harvest the flowers that are still tight so that they can last longer.

I didn't plant perennial baby breath yet because we have a lot of grout weeds and Alchemilla Vulgaris (lady's mantle) that are ideal for filler flowers. However, after growing burgundy red wild carrot, I also bought the seeds for perennial baby breath.

At this moment, we also have tons of Centaurea Montana (mountain cornflower). They look good and smell lovely, also quite a long vase life. The best time of Aquilegia is passed, but turkey and island poppies are coming soon.

My roses are about to blossom, so as lilies. Lupines should produce new flowers for some while, and those Ethiopian mustards, ya, they are bolting - but their unique color and form also make them a good candidate.

I still have some floral foam so I will pre-soak them in water and use them for arranging such table flowers. There won't be water in the cup, besides, customers can get a paper bag if they want, so the flowers will sit in the bags without leaving any mess.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mockup for Salad, with quail egg and edible flowers (now only chive flowers, next week, I will add a bit of calendula and pansy)

3250.jpg

I have 5-6 lettuce and leafy greens and will mix them with chopped fresh herbs like different varieties of basil and mint. Unfortunately, my chards are too small to be harvested, but I will add some shoots of Amaranth; the overall color display will be better.
3251.jpg

I guess what I will bring to the market is different from the local vendors.

Latest posts