Favorite Cold Weather Meal

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife thinks that this modern juicing trend is bizarre. She doesn't tell people that but likes to ask them about juicing. Then, she hurries to tell me :rolleyes:.

I don't think it's bizarre. I've been around "health nuts" all my life. My uncle was once featured in a magazine on the subject of healthy living - in the 1940's!

Anyway, I'm not a juicer and have no interest in putting kale juice in a glass, no matter what it is mixed with.

Fruit juices are fine. I like that Arizona Tea with carrots. My own juicer just might show up if the carrot harvesting drives me to it ... however, if I put beef or chicken stock in, I'm cooking it as "soup."

Really, Gazpacho is salad-like. I should have made some this year! Gettin' feeble in my olde age.

So as not to end this post on that note, stock and starch are important in my recipes. Let's take rice as a starch example. I can take exactly the same ingredients and make a stir-fry, casserole or chicken with vegetables and rice soup. I just vary the portions and cooking methods. Varying the ingredients makes for a varied diet. I can easily trade the rice for noodles. If I switch the starch to potatoes, I guess I should call the stir-fry, "hash," but I will be pushing the technique too far with too many veggies included. Those things are better in casseroles and soup.

I like how the writer of @Nyboy 's article on pears and chestnut recipe says that all soups are "simple." Sure can be! So are my stir-fries and casseroles :).

Steve

Last edited: