Favorite plant duo

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The 'bare naked ladies' that I know is Amaryllis belladonna... light pink amaryllis-y flowers (smaller and less flared than indoor amaryllis, but still quite pretty imo), flowers in late summer after the foliage has been dead and gone for some time, hence the name. Looks a bit weird unless enough other plants around it to clothe its naked, or perhaps I should say absent, lower regions. It grew well in the clayey neglected yard of an apartment I had in NC (I didn't plant it, just admired it and mowed around it) so I think it is one of those plants that doesn't need much 'gardening' once it is in - just need to mark the location since it is not always up. It's not native although it might be naturalized some places.

Buff Hooligans (sorry, I have trouble adjusting to all new names for people :p) you should be able to grow it where you are. I actually keep thinking about trying it - we are theoretically way too cold but I have some usda zone 6 things overwintering fine so far right by the house, in sandy suntrap-warmed soil that catches big drifts each winter, and I *think* it might be ok there, at least for some years. Maybe some year I will actually try it.

Now watch, it will turn out that sgtsheart is talking about some completely different plant :p

Pat

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Shallots said:
BTW, the reason I still have them is because MY girls turn up their little beaks at them! I keep telling them that OTHER people's chickens LOVE them and leap tall buildings for them, but no luck.
Just tell em about all the poor starving chickens in some foreign country. That's the one my mom used with me. :|
(and me, being the smartb**t kid I was (and still am) said: fine, send em all of mine!)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's a duo again with forget-me-nots, this time pink - I found this picture in my collection, it's from May 2002:

viola-forget.jpg

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Me thinks I am going to have to copy reinbeau's entire garden for my secret garden....how beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, thanx, but it's a fortunate mistake! :) After gardening here for thirty years I get lucky every once in awhile with volunteers. The viola was planted, and the forget-me-nots are something I tried to grow for years until they finally 'took'. My mother had pink, blue and white, I got seeds from her and sprinkled and got what I got!

country freedom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Another beautiful pairing up of plantings! Keep'em popping up! Do you realize that you give us ideas and inspiration for our gardens-those (like me) who are a little at a loss as to what may look nice together?

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Patandchickens, I've seen A. 'belladonna' in catalogs. I'll look again when the catalogs start flooding our mailbox on January 2! (Should I change my screenname from Shallots to Buff? These two forums are the only two I've ever been involved with, so I don't know what's best.)

Reinbeau, love the Forget-me-nots and pansies. Methinks I'll be buying more F-m-n seed packets in spring!

Latest posts