Favorite pole bean?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried to grow blue lake beans. They never seem to get very big or put out many beans.

I tried growing Chinese red noodle beans. The bugs keep wiping out the seedlings.

I decide to give Kentucky wonder beans a try. NOM!!! Lots of stringless beans with tender pods. Next year these are going to be the ones I go with.

But before I assign all the pole bean areas to the kws, are there some other good pole beans I should know about??

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We planted Blue Lake and had some of the same problems as you. Next year we are going to try another variety, think it will be Kentucky wonder thanks!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think we will try some Kentucky Wonder AND stay with Blue Lake (as we have had a bumper crop of Blue Lake this time!) go figure :hu

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have 3 different Beans growing and the Kentucky Wonder is out doing the others...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a neighbor who grows Kentucky Blue pole beans every year. Yes, they are a cross between Kentucky Wonder & Blue Lake. They seem to do real well for him.

DW claims that KW are "homely" :rolleyes:. So, I grow Jade bush beans because she likes their looks. Sheesh! Personally, I don't think those tender, skinny Jades have much flavor.

So, I grow what are probably Oregon Giant pole beans for me and she admits that they are good. This year, I'm trying Cascade Giants (AKA Rattlesnake). They are supposed to be an improvement on the Oregon Giants. They are struggling up out of the corn, pumpkins and squash and should begin to flower soon. I will let you know what I think they amount to.

One year, I had Emerite pole beans. They are a real nice filet type.

Steve

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I had great success this year with Rattlesnake. Prior two years I grew Kentucky Wonder. I got bigger harvests with KW, but I could never seem to pick them soon enough to avoid stringyness. I fascinates me how the coloration on the Rattlesnake beans disappears when you cook them.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We planted Blue Lake and they have done really well. I have to say that since I don't have a pressure cooker and found out that freezing them really isn't the way to go....I have left a lot of them on the bush and you could now use them as baseball bats. :rolleyes:

Latest posts