Favorite Sounds

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes my favorite sound is silence. Total peacefulness. Then the sounds that show up stand out because my ears aren't being assaulted by an audiotory overload.
The cawing of a crow, joined by the rest of the flock becomes a raucous caw fest.

For the first time in many years, we have heard a whippoorwill. We have stood outside just to enjoy and listen.

My horses now live on the same property that we do. Our mule delighted us when she discovered "cow monsters" across the road. Standing at full alert, her alarm snort sounded like letting the pressure off an air tank.

Our gelding Joe, while at the bottom of the pecking order, nevertheless loves the mares. He just stood there, calling for them because they were out of his sight. An exchange of neighs commenced, followed by thundering hooves, noses touched and all was well in Joe's world once more.

The rustling of leaves on trees in a gentle breeze, my dog snoring, a far away tractor engine, the sound of an approaching car, drip of rain off the roof, and enough quiet to make all the sounds stand alone for a deeper appreciation.

What are your favorite sounds?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny you posted this. I was just thinking about it the other evening when I walked up the driveway to check the mailbox. The stars were just beginning to show, and it was quiet out. I stood still and enjoyed where I live.
Then I started picking out individual sounds, the still chilly breeze in the tops of the pines, distant tires on gravel road, a robin singing, a kids shout and a laugh from the neighbors yard.....
...my ball obsessed heeler staring intently at me with her ball between her front feet....well, that was silent, but if there was a sound for it, it would be a continual background whine.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well @baymule and @thistlebloom you are both so poetic!
I came home last night and thought! Hey it is quite! That almost never happens in town... then I stood and listened to the frogs. :)Rain on the roof. Rolling Thunder (not the big claps that make you jump, though!) I have not heard a whippoorwill in many years, sadly. I love to hear the owls hoot in the wee hours of morning. A loon. All bird calls really. A babies infectious giggle. Burbling water fall or brook.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love the call of the whippoorwill, I used to go to sleep to it all the time growing up. I live in town now so almost never here it anymore.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
We are on the flight path of the Canadian Geese, as spring comes round they come honking into the valley, I love them. When we sail the lake, Lake Tahoe, they drop by, for the loves of bread we brought them, He made them so well, they're sound is so good.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, you guys hit a chime with me! I have a very bad case of tinnitus and my hearing is all squeaks and squeals nowadays. However, I do absolutely love to sit out by the pond and listen for the peepers and wild turkeys gobbling in the spring, newborn baby chicks under mommy peeping ever so softly, distant spring storms, whippoorwills (only sometimes) and owls at night, our distant train route, and finally a good negro spiritual choir. There are a gazillion others but that's all that comes to mind right now. I think that, since I'm loosing my hearing, many sounds are more precious to me than before.

Edited to add: The sound of an antique two-cylinder John Deere tractor working hard in the field.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never heard a whippoorwhill....how do you spell that? ;)

Here we get fly overs from San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose airports. And the occasionally swearing golfer. Ugh.

But I do love the nut hatch (my phantom of the opera bird) when he sings while running up and down the trees.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, you guys hit a chime with me! I have a very bad case of tinnitus and my hearing is all squeaks and squeals nowadays. However, I do absolutely love to sit out by the pond and listen for the peepers and wild turkeys gobbling in the spring, newborn baby chicks under mommy peeping ever so softly, distant spring storms, whippoorwills (only sometimes) and owls at night, our distant train route, and finally a good negro spiritual choir. There are a gazillion others but that's all that comes to mind right now. I think that, since I'm loosing my hearing, many sounds are more precious to me than before.

Edited to add: The sound of an antique two-cylinder John Deere tractor working hard in the field.
Ahhh a Johnny Popper. :)

Latest posts