Favorite Sounds

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You all have named most all my favorite sounds, and some I didn't even think about--ever, but that sound like they would be lovely and comforting just the same. In the nearly 25 years we have lived in our present home, the traffic noise has increased exponentially. It is almost a constant roar, with many semi trucks and those super large pick-ups with the huge whining tires. Then the motorcycles with loud pipes.
But occasionally, there is no traffic, and then it is heaven.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our old house was across the street from a tire store with a 4 lane highway in front of it. Impact wrenches, heavy traffic and the cars with their radios so loud that my bones vibrated are NOT my favorite sounds. Our house was super insulated, closing the door shut it all out. Oh on the opposite side of the highway was the schools football field, the announcers microphone was as loud as it could go, plus the music they played.

Ahhhh....... silence. Quiet. Peace. We've never been happier.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our old house was across the street from a tire store with a 4 lane highway in front of it. Impact wrenches, heavy traffic and the cars with their radios so loud that my bones vibrated are NOT my favorite sounds. Our house was super insulated, closing the door shut it all out. Oh on the opposite side of the highway was the schools football field, the announcers microphone was as loud as it could go, plus the music they played.

Ahhhh....... silence. Quiet. Peace. We've never been happier.
Wonderful. I am so happy for you. :)

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Winter in the north is painfully silent.... like they say, deafening silence. Every sound of Spring is like music. The first sounds that winter is almost over are my favorites... honking geese flying in and the chickadee's Spring calls that usually start toward the end of Feb. (Typical song) - sounds like fee-bee, real loud!... like they are calling the phoebes to return.

@TheSeedObsesser, that shrill whistle of the Red-winged blackbird always makes me chuckle. Dh and I coached first year soccer and the whistle that I used sounded just like that. We were allowed to blow the whistle when the kids were heading the wrong way down the field. :lol: