Feeding tomatoes with rotten egg

cookiesdaddy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OK so I understand that it's good to feed eggshell to tomatoes as calcium supplement. I have an egg that I left out in extreme heat for a few days so I don't want to eat it. If I just crush it under a tomato plant, yoke and all, does it serve any purpose? Or should I break it in the chicken run and give those girls a treat?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had same situation, except I gave it to the pepper plants as they love sulfur. Problem is, the animals smell it and dig it up looking for it.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would not put a whole egg in the garden yes animals will find it!!! add it to the compost heap and save clean dry shells for your tomatoes ..trust me ..raccoons love eggs rotten or not

the egg shell vinegar idea is best

I used to keep clean eggshells and vinegar in a 3 gallon watering can and just douse my plants accordingly ..now because of Davaroo and his asiprin idea I am adding that instead of the vinegar to my watering can and thinking they are acidic enough to break down the calcium in the shells

good luck

my tomatoes are teasing me now the plants are loaded and one tomato has a blush :)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, reading the title of this post made me want to :sick :sick :sick

There is a difference between a rotten egg and an old egg. If you have ever cleaned up the bad eggs from a broody's nest, you will know what I mean. :sick

Anyway, other than my own hang-ups on rotten eggs, yes, as others mention, only use the shells. No amount of burying will keep a raccoon away, IME.

cookiesdaddy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I would not put a whole egg in the garden yes animals will find it!!! add it to the compost heap and save clean dry shells for your tomatoes ..trust me ..raccoons love eggs rotten or not

I used to keep clean eggshells and vinegar in a 3 gallon watering can and just douse my plants accordingly ..now because of Davaroo and his asiprin idea I am adding that instead of the vinegar to my watering can and thinking they are acidic enough to break down the calcium in the shells

good luck

my tomatoes are teasing me now the plants are loaded and one tomato has a blush :)
Thanks everyone for helpful ideas! Now I am not familiar with the eggshells and vinegar thing. Can you please elaborate? You actually water the plant with vinegar?

And yes my tomatoes are teasing me too. So many fruit but still all green, except for may be 1-2 that are "blushing". I live in Northern California. Is this normal for the season? It has been 80-90 days since transplant.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
cookiesdaddy said:
HiDelight said:

good luck

Thanks everyone for helpful ideas! Now I am not familiar with the eggshells and vinegar thing. Can you please elaborate? You actually water the plant with vinegar?

And yes my tomatoes are teasing me too. So many fruit but still all green, except for may be 1-2 that are "blushing". I live in Northern California. Is this normal for the season? It has been 80-90 days since transplant.
I would love to know what the eggshells and vinegar thing is too.:pop

Latest posts