Feeling sick about the coming spring

lillie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am so bummed out about the coming spring. The power company is re-building their lines, which happen to go across the south end of our property. I've been battling them for years over my mature ash trees, but this year they are cutting down two of them - they are right behind the house and give my house shade in the summer, and not to mention they are old and beautiful and will be GONE. They are going to plant a few maples and a few viburnums (a "design" thought up by some landscaper they hired who has never seen my property nor have I been consulted about this at all) but I am just so sick about losing my trees. I hope they plant something bigger than a 1-foot twig.

I have planted a lot of hostas on that side of the house because of the shade - now they'll be in bright full sun! I guess I'll have to get busy moving them - does anyone have advice on putting a new bed into an established lawn? Most of my flower beds that I create new, we use the loader to remove the sod first - but the only place I have left to put them is close to the house and the septic tank is under there so I don't want to use heavy equipment on it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your trees... I had my woods cut down for a billboard- so I feel your pain. Don't be in too big of a hurry to move those hosta. You will be surprised how well they grow in full sun. My advice would be to give them a season, and then decide. Good luck!

1iora

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Get a lawyer and sue for an injunction to stop them. There are lots of cases where people haven't been able to modify landscaping because it adversely affected the property value/purpose of a neighboring lot (eg someone couldn't cut down trees near someone's house because he had a pond and cutting the neighboring lot's trees would kill the pond ecosystem, and someone else couldn't build something that would shade someone's pool, etc). Or do it on your own, but that would be a pain.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Suing is costly. Buy the tree you want instead. Take it from me, wife of a lawyer and his secretary. Ask if you can be in on the tree planting and what varieties they would consider. you will probably loose based on their easement. You could make them prove their line, but you might end up unhappy with what the surveyor says. Approach them with you concerns and tell them the impact of the cutting. They may work with you or tell you to ^%$& off. Ask, ask, ask....

As for the lawn, put some black plastic or an old throw rug down on the area you want to put the bed in to kill the grass. Do it now in spring so you can work the ground in a few months. It takes about a month to kill it. remember to remove the top area once the rug is pulled up, and then till in some manure.

I am so sorry. I have had similar experiences with our utility company. It seems crazy that I pay for the land and they do what they want with it!. My heart goes out to you. BUT, God has something for you. Maybe there is a world of sun loving plants you are about to really enjoy. Maybe your will get a beautiful tree out of it. Again, tell them you want to be in on the decision to plant ANYTHING on YOUR property and are willing to work with the appropriate channels to find a solution that is amicable for both of you!

lillie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Unfortunately I can't sue them because it's in the easement that they have the right to remove trees that are within a certain distance from the lines. This is something I've fought with them for YEARS over and have so far been able to convince them to just trim them (even though they aren't even getting into the wires). Now they offered to plant the maples & viburnums if we allow them to cut the trees down - I guess it's better than nothing. They removed a couple trees a few years ago that aren't directly behind the house, and never came back to grind out the stumps. It's been a mess.

I'll definitely start killing the grass where I would intend to move the hostas - but yeah, maybe they'll still be ok where they are! And who doesn't love the prospect of getting new plants!! :p

I guess I'd end up losing those trees eventually anyway, with the ash borer slowly making its way here. It's only a matter of time. But, I have a hard time seeing things change around here. I grew up in this house and love all my old trees like old friends. So many memories, playing around in this yard! :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
with the hosta, the brighter the green the better sun tolerance they have. those that are blue will have a difficult time with too much sun and you might want to move those if you have any. variegated seem to do ok i've found with sun, but again, if they have streaks of blue they might not like too much sunlight. good luck!

eta: here in NH the phone and utilities have to pay a tax on the tiny area they have each pole on property. sort of a shared responsibility of everyone.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
1iora said:
Get a lawyer and sue for an injunction to stop them. There are lots of cases where people haven't been able to modify landscaping because it adversely affected the property value/purpose of a neighboring lot (eg someone couldn't cut down trees near someone's house because he had a pond and cutting the neighboring lot's trees would kill the pond ecosystem, and someone else couldn't build something that would shade someone's pool, etc). Or do it on your own, but that would be a pain.
Not a great idea! Read this before you decide you can't live without your trees.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local...-cause-trees-hitting-power-lines-1869910.html

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you can get them to just trim them instead. You will never win in court with them. I am guessing that them have rights to the land.
We all do like our electricity. I would research fast growing trees and plant them as soon as the work is done. Ever greens to block the view. Give them plenty of room so the power company doesn't trim them and destroy their looks. You can be sure they will plant twigs and it will be up to you to water it. They also use herbicides along most power lines. So sorry.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would want something besides maple planted. I got so tired of pulling maple saplings out of my gardens all the time. The last house I lived in, and the house my mom is in now have maple trees out front. It is a never ending battle pulling the trees that start from the seeds, the squirrels and wind spread them everywhere.

Latest posts