Fellow Zone 6 Gardeners...have you done anything w/your garden yet?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The only thing I have done is start off some seeds. I started sugar pumpkins, dill, variety of hot peppers, basil & red peppers. They are all doing pretty well, but I have seeds that need to be planted for my lettuce, peas & a variety of herbs. I was going to do it this weekend, since it was gorgeous outside, but I am glad I didn't since the weatherman predicted snow "flurries" tomorrow morning :somad

I usually wait for our local greenhouse to buy my regular items; tomatoes, cukes, etc. I'm not going to start the other ones, I'm just going to throw them into the ground & hope for the best :fl Also, I'll allow some of my chickens to turn over the soil & poo (just a little) in my garden before I plant anything as well.

Has anyone planted their seeds yet? What stage are you currently at in your garden? Thanks!

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am at the bottom of zone 5b, so I guess it is close enough... :lol:

I have strawberries and garlic planted, and I have some spring veggies in, just seeds. Onions, carrots, beets, lettuce, peas, etc. BUT then it rained for three days, (not that I am complaining) and now I dont know how to tell if all my seeds washed away. I guess just wait and see.... and, the bed is getting very crusted over, so I have to keep sprinkling it, even though it is very wet underneath still. So I dont know how it is doing. :he

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm doing pretty good, will plant some chard, spinach, beets, radish, broccoli raab, mache, and lettuces this week, its rainy a lot today so glad i waited till tomorrow. A lot of times i'll go to plant seeds only to find that the rain washed the seeds away. I will also start my summer vegetables this week. I have all the peas in the ground so be ready to sprout in a day or two. I'm trying to get some herbs and other stuff planted.

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've got potatoes, peas, beets, lettuce, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and strawberries in the ground.

6b in southern Pa.

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've put in strawberries, leafy greens (chard, spinach, lettuce, kale, collards), broccoli, peas, and, I have started tomatoes and eggplant.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haven't even bought my new tiller yet...... :hide

BUT, have sprouted dozens and dozens of veggies, perennials and herbs under my grow lights and have lettuce, spinach and onions in my cold frame.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm on the border of zones 6/7 so I'll chime in. I'm eating radishes. The Russian kale looks like it is a week or so away from being ready for "baby" kale. Carrots, beets, lettuce, mesclun, spinach, chard, red pontiac and kennebec potatoes are up. I'll probably do my first hilling of these potatoes this weekend. Onion sets, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower are growing, expecially the cabbage and onions. I've had one mess of asparagus but it is slow right now. Blue potatoes are planted but not coming up yet. The leeks I planted last fall are almost big enough to use for soup. Lots of oregano and chives. I've got my second planting of radishes in the ground but they are not up yet. I could get some green onions from my new sets if I wanted, but late last fall I stuck a few store-bought onions that started to sprout in the ground and over-wintered them. We're using those as green onions now.

Last fall I went to a thrift store and bought 6 large sheets for $1.25 each. They came in handy for some of our cold weather. I also prepared a section of my garden for planting last fall so when I got a dry enough day this spring, I could get my cold crops in immediately. I violated the spirit of proper gardening and did not have a ground cover on that section this winter.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
From inside I can see the radish sprouts from the seeds I planted last Friday. It's raining out there or I'd go out and check for beets sprouting, too! I planted onion seeds outdoors (little salad onions(, and the peas are growing, I wanted to get another planting in on peas, maybe if there's a break in the weather I'll get them in today, otherwise this weekend sounds as though it's going to be wonderful.

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My peas, radishes, spinach, and lettuce have sprouted and I transplanted my leeks outside :)

No signs of my potatoes. I think I may write them off as a loss...

Inchworm

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This weekend is to be super-nice around here...and I'm sooooo excited :clap

Also, my mom & dad will be taking the kids, dh is working, so that means I have all Saturday afternoon & evening to plant my seeds, plants & work on my compost pile.

You all have made way more strides than me and have put a little fire under my fanny :lol: