Fellow Zone 6 Gardeners...have you done anything w/your garden yet?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I am in 6a, but close to the 5b line. I have lots of plants started.

In the garden I have:

peas (have spouted)
onion (white and yellow)
20 peppers (bell, banana, hungarian hot)
11 tomatoes (roma, early girl)

Hardening on the porch:

more tomatoes
gourds (ornamental and birdhouse)
squash

In the Greenhouse on wheels:

more tomatoes (see a pattern)
herbs
flowers
cucumbers
pumpkin
eggplant
watermelon

The peppers and tomatoes just went in because the weather has been so nice. I am probably going to regret it because I should have waited but I've covered plants before.

I am planting 2 gardens this year. I have been planting a 25x50' garden plus and small 16x16 area for cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, watermelons and pumpkins (doesn't count as a separate garden because is right next to 1st garden just an overflow). But this year I am putting in a second garden that is about 20x40'.

I am also putting in a small herb garden next to the patio. I am planting basil, oregano, cilantro, lavendar and dill in it. Will need lots of advise with this because I haven't done it before.

I need to weed out my strawberry patch and transplant as needed. I also have two very small apple trees and raspberry bushes.

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Holy cow Hunkie Dorie! You are one organized and energetic person. I have a couple of questions.

With that much garden do you have a lot of produce for canning and freezing?

Is 16 X 16 big enough for cukes, pumpkins, squash AND melon? If so how many plants of that size can you put in a space like that?

I have a similar sized patch that is going to plant to "the three sisters" this year. The corn is in and I will thin it and add beans once the corn is up. Then I was going to put winter squash in between the rows. I'm wondering how many vines will be enough for such a small space, but it sounds like you put quite a few such plants in your 16 X 16 foot space. Granted there was no corn there.

Debby